Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Feeling Defeated Already

Jester

Went to my third session of the ITC course and came away feeling like I just can't do this :o

We were discussing risk assessments and making spaces safe for children and I just thought OMG my whole house is a total danger zone, where can I put things? how can I sort things out? I need more space!

Things like in my kitchen we have recycling boxes on the floor, with bottles and paper and card in that my daughter doesn't touch but obviously is a risk that I need to take into account, and in the living room there are a few wires that need to be tucked away and apparently my tv needs to be fixed to the table or something. Oh and having a high up cupboard is not good enough I need a locked cupboard.

Don't get me wrong, the safety of children in paramount but it is going to cost me a fortune in new towels, locks, door latches, more cupboard locks, extra stair gates, storage, boiler and alarm checks and I don't know ehere I will put this stuff I have to move out of the way. Atm the safest place is my garden!! xD

I am probably overreacting as I am so hormonal at the moment but I just don't know where to start and I had a melt down with the tutors saying I just didn't think me or my home were up to this at all :( I was planning on getting everything sorted in the house and registering before my baby is born (January) but they have advised me to just take one room at a time and see what needs doing and risk assess one at a time.

Also another thing is my husband doesn't seem to quite "get" this, he leaves things lying around all the time and I have to go and move them all the time, I need him to know how stringent I have to be.

I'm sorry, I don't really know the point in this post. I just needed to get it off my chest. Lots of people on my course have started writing policies and I haven't done a thing yet cos I was waiting till the end of the course before I started, and I don't know where to start! There seems to be so much to take on board and my poor pregnant brain can't quite deal with it.

Maybe I am doing the wrong thing in doing the course at all, but I always planned that this would be the only way to stay at home with my children and to keep my hand in early years.

Hang on Jester, I think your tutors may be a bit over zealous here.

I have been childminding for 11 years.

My tv is not fixed to the table.

I have recycling boxes the children can reach.

I have just one kitchen cupboard with a safety catch on.

I have no cupboards which lock. Medication is kept on the top shelf of the wardrobe in my bedroom.

Ofsted have never questioned the safety of my setting.

I'm happy to share my policies with you if you like although I've just agreed to send them to my local EY coordinator for her to review for me so you might want to wait to see what feedback I get.

Don't panic. You shouldn't have to spend loads of money. It may be that your childminder support unit has some start up funds. Remember this is your home. You should just know how you are going to tell your Ofsted inspector how you risk assess. You can't wrap children in cotton wool. I've just started childminding again (having spent the last 20 years managing a nursery. I am not putting child proof locks on cupboards. In my previous experience - children are better at opening them than the adults!!

Sometimes the tutors can make childminding very complicated. If you love children and have their best interests at heart - you will probably do really well.

Went to my third session of the ITC course and came away feeling like I just can't do this :o

We were discussing risk assessments and making spaces safe for children and I just thought OMG my whole house is a total danger zone, where can I put things? how can I sort things out? I need more space!

Things like in my kitchen we have recycling boxes on the floor, with bottles and paper and card in that my daughter doesn't touch but obviously is a risk that I need to take into account, and in the living room there are a few wires that need to be tucked away and apparently my tv needs to be fixed to the table or something. Oh and having a high up cupboard is not good enough I need a locked cupboard.

Don't get me wrong, the safety of children in paramount but it is going to cost me a fortune in new towels, locks, door latches, more cupboard locks, extra stair gates, storage, boiler and alarm checks and I don't know ehere I will put this stuff I have to move out of the way. Atm the safest place is my garden!! xD

I am probably overreacting as I am so hormonal at the moment but I just don't know where to start and I had a melt down with the tutors saying I just didn't think me or my home were up to this at all :( I was planning on getting everything sorted in the house and registering before my baby is born (January) but they have advised me to just take one room at a time and see what needs doing and risk assess one at a time.

Also another thing is my husband doesn't seem to quite "get" this, he leaves things lying around all the time and I have to go and move them all the time, I need him to know how stringent I have to be.

I'm sorry, I don't really know the point in this post. I just needed to get it off my chest. Lots of people on my course have started writing policies and I haven't done a thing yet cos I was waiting till the end of the course before I started, and I don't know where to start! There seems to be so much to take on board and my poor pregnant brain can't quite deal with it.

Maybe I am doing the wrong thing in doing the course at all, but I always planned that this would be the only way to stay at home with my children and to keep my hand in early years.

Jester,

When I did my start up course I noticed that the tutor was completely over the top in what she was suggesting to make my home safe and secure. I was lucky to have previous experience to stop me from panicking about this.

Step back and look at your environment risk assess each room looking for dangers which need to be made safe.

Try and find a local childminding group who could maybe also pop over and take a look.

Good luck you will be fine.

Adele x

Hang on Jester, I think your tutors may be a bit over zealous here.

I have been childminding for 11 years.

My tv is not fixed to the table.

I have recycling boxes the children can reach.

I have just one kitchen cupboard with a safety catch on.

I have no cupboards which lock. Medication is kept on the top shelf of the wardrobe in my bedroom.

Ofsted have never questioned the safety of my setting.

I'm happy to share my policies with you if you like although I've just agreed to send them to my local EY coordinator for her to review for me so you might want to wait to see what feedback I get.

Upsy Daisy you have no idea how relieved I am to read this!!!

One of the tutors did say the reason why they are over zealous is because they can't just tell us "Oh that will be alright" because they have to been seen to be very vigilint. I can understand that but I came away thinking "This is still my home!"

Thank you, that would be great, just to get an idea of what to do.

Don't panic. You shouldn't have to spend loads of money. It may be that your childminder support unit has some start up funds. Remember this is your home. You should just know how you are going to tell your Ofsted inspector how you risk assess. You can't wrap children in cotton wool. I've just started childminding again (having spent the last 20 years managing a nursery. I am not putting child proof locks on cupboards. In my previous experience - children are better at opening them than the adults!!

Sometimes the tutors can make childminding very complicated. If you love children and have their best interests at heart - you will probably do really well.

Ah that would be useful, will have to investigate that one!

Thanks for your reply, I agree you can't wrap children in cotton wool and I beleive that if you just hide every single potential danger there is then what are they learning?

Jester,

When I did my start up course I noticed that the tutor was completely over the top in what she was suggesting to make my home safe and secure. I was lucky to have previous experience to stop me from panicking about this.

Step back and look at your environment risk assess each room looking for dangers which need to be made safe.

Try and find a local childminding group who could maybe also pop over and take a look.

Good luck you will be fine.

Adele x

Thanks dizzy daisy. I have been a nanny in the past and am very experienced in the field of EY. I think I am panicking mainly cos I am a bit of a hormonal wreck :o

Will start looking at a space at a time and calming down a bit!

Thanks to the replies on here I suddenly feel a lot more at ease with it!

With a bit of luck you'll be able to use those hormones to your advantage. Suddenly, you may have all the energy in the world to sort everything out (and Heaven help your Husband when that happens - might end up in the recycling if he's not careful!!).

At your first inspection Ofsted will want to see that you are aware of risk issues and you have a plan for putting things right. At your second inspection they will want to see that you have put your plans into action. However...you are going to be VERY busy when that all happens, so best get it right before baby arrives.

Others are right - one room at a time - I do a good clean and keep a notebook handy. Make a list and crack on with it. Like most things, Procrastination is our Enemy and when we get on we find they really don't take much time. I am the Muckiest Puppy and I got through.

Very best of luck for your preparations,

Honey

Don't panic some one told me not long ago that "the biggest risk is that there is no risk" children soon learn the boundaries, make things safe by all means but don't panic children need to learn about risks too

I'd look at using your garden as much as possible I'm in a preschool not a child minder but in general being outside has such a positive effect on children we find they need less "stuff" but learn so much more

With regards your husband leaving stuff about, could you give him his own 'toy box' to dump his stuff in at the end of the day, shove it behind the sofa/put it in your bedroom during the day when the children are there?

I'd be inclined to make a start on the policies sooner rather than later because at the moment you have a tutor that you can take them to and show but don't try to reinvent the wheel feel free to copy as much as you can from others policies it's not a competition OfSTED's not going to tell you off for plagiarism

Hope it all goes well for you with the new baby

Well I have made a start on my policies so thats a start and I have also been sorting out the garden so will be doing the risk assessment on that as soon as I find a suitable template.

Does anyone have one?

I went on the HSE website as advised on the course but theirs are quite generic....

Glad to hear that you've made a start and sound less overwhelmed.

All my policies, risk assessments etc are on the other laptop (isn't that always the way?!) I'll be back later and see if I can upload them - don't think I've done that before!! If not, there's always email :o

Nona

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)