Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Sarah Tether's News

Cait

What research is she quoting when she says '...It also said there was scope to improve awareness among the workforce of engaging with parents about early home learning.'It wasnt the Tickle review because I just searched it.

It all sounds good but in reality it will mean more money at government and council led settings and less for poor playgroups. Some of you wont believe me, but I honestly think thats the way they are heading with every new regulation, idea, 'must' and 'should'.

Did anyone else think her tone towards EY workers was softer than previously?

Here

This may be the report she is referring to- it's a document called Provider Influence on the Home Learning Environment, was commissioned by the Department for Children, Schools and Families (now the Department for Education) and released on July 4, 2011.

The Family and Parenting Institute, in partnership with the Campaign for Learning, set out to answer the question

"What can nurseries and other early years settings do to better support parents wanting to develop their children’s learning at home?"

through a combined study. The research aimed to identify which strategies are most effective in supporting parents to give their child the strongest educational start in life.

Edited by surfer

Very interesting, in light of the fact that I was training today - a course entitled 'Parents as Partners'. A lot of good ideas came out and much chat (ooh how I love networking with other practitioners!)

But for all of the mention in 'The Minister's view' of ensuring we are improving the lives of deprived children and bringing in funding for 2 year olds in deprived areas (and don't get me wrong - this is incredibly important) the recurring theme from the training was that some of the parents who are most difficult to reach are the most affluent, those paying for private education, or as one person put it 'the yummy mummies who dump at the door whilst dressed in their gym gear'.

These are the parents that I also feel need to be made aware of the 'Home Learning Environment' and how important their influence and contribution is.

Rachel

Very interesting, in light of the fact that I was training today - a course entitled 'Parents as Partners'. A lot of good ideas came out and much chat (ooh how I love networking with other practitioners!)

But for all of the mention in 'The Minister's view' of ensuring we are improving the lives of deprived children and bringing in funding for 2 year olds in deprived areas (and don't get me wrong - this is incredibly important) the recurring theme from the training was that some of the parents who are most difficult to reach are the most affluent, those paying for private education, or as one person put it 'the yummy mummies who dump at the door whilst dressed in their gym gear'.

These are the parents that I also feel need to be made aware of the 'Home Learning Environment' and how important their influence and contribution is.

Rachel

That fits the bill of 95% of my new parents this year, we even get told if they cry don't ring before 12 because I'm having my nails done!!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)