Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Laptops

sadie19

Hi i work in a preschool children that attend are aged 2-4. Should we have a laptop avaliable all the time to the children?? what is your advive on this what dose your settings to ?? what activitys are they on the laptop?? Cbeebies website? Disney channel website? ect any advice would be grateful Thanks x x x

Hi sadie19

Firstly congratulations on making your first post :o

Having access to an computer / laptop is great although I don't know if it has to be all the time or just rotated in and out of use as you might with other resources.

Did a little forum search as I knew this had been touched on before and found this thread with ideas in.

Computer Games For Preschool, Do you know of any good ones?

Sure others will soon be along to contribute xD

Having access to an computer / laptop is great although I don't know if it has to be all the time or just rotated in and out of use as you might with other resources.

That's exactly how we use ours....so not part of our 'Continuous Provision/Enabling Enviroment' - but an 'enhancement'.....

At the moment we are only using 'Splosh' - which is a 'paint programme' - this gives great opportunities to master the basics....

Oh and welcome to the forum! :o

Our children are aged 2 years 9 months to school and we have a computer out as a permanent resource which the children access as and when they choose. The computer came pre-loaded with age appropriate soft-ware which the children access themselves, swopping from one programme to another with no help. That said, I wouldn't leave a laptop out without direct adult supervision as this would quickly end up with a broken screen I am sure, we had a child sit on a closed laptop the other day :o

Edited by bugbabe

We have two computers that are 'continuous', children have free access to them both and also attach the printer when they want to print their art work :o

They also have headphones so as not to disturb those children around them. Also allows them to be able to hear when playing letter and sounds.

They are not connected to the internet as an adult is not always with them.

Chicken

Guest youngrisers

Hello sadie, we have our laptop on every session/day and have found the "Gigglebibbies" games fantastic! they are English made with english speaking voices, they show positive images and are suitable for all ages and have many different sections on them to suit all abilities. The children love them asking by name for certain ones to play. we have a large sand timer nearby so all children have equal access to the laptop and even the very youngest have a go! hope this helps

We have a laptop that is linked to the internet and there are many educational benefits that aren't linked to games.

On one hand we can support children's interests. On the other hand an instant source of information for those fantastic questions children have the knack of asking, for example; 'do snails pooh?' I have to confess I didn't know the answer but we were able to look it up together and the child was happy to know the answer.

On another occasion recently we used the laptop to find instant information about the Surrey Air Ambulance to satisfy a child's curiosity, he had seen it on his way to nursery. We were able to satisfy his interest by printing pictures of the helicopter and making a mini book for him to take home.

I would say go for it.....the internet is a wonderful thing and can be used safely! oh yes....and if you want to know the answer to whether snails pooh.....look it up on the internet.

We have laptops that the children can have out when they like - We currently have Switch It Dinosours on which they love - word of warning though. One little lad managed to strip the keyboard of keys completely and did it in seconds!! Fortunately had a 2nd keyboard to copy when replacing the keys! We also have Maths City and

Simple City programmes.

We have a computer and the children can usually access it every session, at the moment I don't have internet access in the Nursery but when we do I found the topmarks website really useful for giving me links to online games and activities that are really EY friendly.

We were provided with a laptop loaded with software from the local council a few years ago. We don't have internet access in our church hall but have loads of different games and also use it to play story DVD's occasionally.

It's not used every session though (or one particular child would never move away from it!)

Rachel

Guest pamgreen

We have two computers as part of our continuous provision plus a laptop linked to our interactive whiteboard.

we too have a computer linked to our smartboard which the children have access to every day. We are also linked to the internet as the children do like nk jnr , cbeebies and milkshake games.

When we were recently inspected whilst in a temporary building whilst waiting for our new building to be finished we did not have a computer and we were questioned on this and advised that they should have access everyday to a computer.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)