Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Mentor

kristina

Two weeks until i start foundation degree and feeling excited and a bit apprehensive!

Can anyone shed any light on the role of the mentor, ie commitment/time etc, we are a pre-school within school grounds and I was thinking of asking the reception teacher as I have a good working relationship with her. However I also know she is very busy and don't want to add to her workload/be a burden!! There isn't anyone I can ask at work as I am the manager/owner and I'm not sure if a level 3 could be my mentor for a foundation degree (wouldn't make much sense!!).

Kris

Hi i am mentoring an FD student at present - it does not take up a lot of time ( and will depend upon what the college will require) but i meet mine once per half term for an hour to do a guided proffessional discussion and am on the end of the phone if she needs me :o

Hi I have just finished my FD and didn't have a mentor either, we did have a tutor which was helpful with writing the assignments and I was lucky enough to have a lovely bunch of girls in the group who were willing to proof read things for me and I for them.

All worked out fine

We were told our mentor had to have completed their foundation degree and the uni runs special menotring sessions for mentors.... saying that I do not have a mentor and have managed fine and others on my course have foundthe same,

will depend on the uni as to what they ask the mentor to do..

I was one for a student in the setting and had mentoring meetings once a term at college, given the work expected of the student and a general chat about what was expected, how the student was doing etc..

we had to do an observation once a term which was part of their mark , we were given what was to be observed and a sheet to fill in with a pass or fail on it.. I Know not all do this but this uni did...

otherwise it was being on the phone, someone to bounce ideas off, or be there when they needed the push to get things finished, definitely expected to have one meeting a term in person for discussions..

some courses don't have them but this one did for the first 2 years... I was paid a fee for this , only nominal but did cover some of the hours..

and i don't have a degree.. but with lots of early years experience they felt it was OK... usually they do ask for someone with a degree - they found a mentor for the students if they could not find one.. our early years advisor used to mentor 3 each year.

Edited by Inge

Have received a letter this weekend as I have to also enrol at South Bank Uni (Havering run the degree for them), it also states that mentors have to attend a mentor meeting at South Bank in October! Now I know the reception teacher would be unable to do this as it is in the middle of the day, and also I don't feel I could ask her to travel to South London for the meeting! Will have to get in touch with the college and see what they say!

A parent who has a teaching degree has also offered to act as mentor, her teaching degree is in secondary education though so not sure if this would work.

Kris

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)