Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Planning On Display For Parents ?

Hi,

Back to pre-school soon and I am thinking about displaying something for the parents to see what the children are learning. The only problem here is we have 4 structured activities on the go each session, which are usually planned on an ongoing basis around the children's interests.

So difficult to publish in advance an activity unless I get the team to plan the week before. How do others get around this eg. publishing plans to parents/visitors ?

It was so much easier when we did a topic per term!!

Thanks Cait,

Yes I was thinking it might have to be a whiteboard message. The advantage of a paper plan is I can keep it for Ofsted.

Interested to know if others print out plans for parents or if they felt it wasn't needed for Ofsted?

Thanks Cait,

Yes I was thinking it might have to be a whiteboard message. The advantage of a paper plan is I can keep it for Ofsted.

Interested to know if others print out plans for parents or if they felt it wasn't needed for Ofsted?

Hello

we do a weekly update in the children's 'home-links' books, this may take the form of a newsletter, photograph or a picture/piece of work done by the child, that way the children can share it with their parents and it is also evidence of what they have been doing (for Ofsted) and it's a lovely way to keep the parent's informed too.

Hope this helps

Thanks Cait,

I have it written down in my own planning with any 'reason' for the enhancement

Hello

we do a weekly update in the children's 'home-links' books, this may take the form of a newsletter, photograph or a picture/piece of work done by the child, that way the children can share it with their parents and it is also evidence of what they have been doing (for Ofsted) and it's a lovely way to keep the parent's informed too.

Hope this helps

Yes I know a few groups that do 'home -links' books, but as we do a learning journey for each child which can go home to view, my team thought it was extra work for them and some duplication.

We plan the week before i put up a printed note saying what we are looking at what we are doing and any items from home that can be bought in and shared

i also put up a list of vocab that we are introducing to the children

we also give out a list (not done weekly) of current songs we are singing - no excuses then for parents not to have a rouing session with thier ofspring at home!

We use a whiteboard too. I wouldn't worry about keeping paper copies for Ofsted. I think if they can see what you are doing to share information with parents is effective, they won't need to see lots of back copies as evidence. Only my opinion though!! :o

Beehive

I have a blog on our website which I update each week with things we have been doing and things we are going to do next week, songs we'll sing, books we'll look at, so parents can read those books too, and sing those songs. Our administrator sends a copy of the blog via email each week to all those on our email list so no excuses for them not going to look at the website, and those not online can request a paper copy or it is up in the cloakroom to view.

Hi,

Back to pre-school soon and I am thinking about displaying something for the parents to see what the children are learning. The only problem here is we have 4 structured activities on the go each session, which are usually planned on an ongoing basis around the children's interests.

So difficult to publish in advance an activity unless I get the team to plan the week before. How do others get around this eg. publishing plans to parents/visitors ?

It was so much easier when we did a topic per term!!

hi,I think you can use the whiteboard at least is what I am using to inform parents what are we doing and you shouldn't worry with ofsted because when they come to your setting they will see you are planning and informing the parents.

Hi PamGreen thank you for sharing your " What children have learnt this week sheet" not sure how we could implement this with 62 children in a sessional setting but i love the idea.

All our small obs/wow moments are put on post its and displayed on the learning wall as and when they occur, these are then moved into the children's learning journals.

We send out a parent/carer information sheet to parents each half-term highlighting some of the things we maybe looking at with the children, including any suggestions for things they may like to share at home with the children.

Our weekly planning goes up on our learning wall for all parents to see including any enhancements from obs made of child interest and resources to support this.

We also provide a newsletter and update our website each half-term to keep everyone informed.

Like the idea of the whiteboard too [ thanks littlestarscs] might have to steal that one. :o

We do plan week on week based on children's interests,as we are a packaway setting and have to have things prepared.

I do think you have to find a system that works well for your setting and there is no particular way that fits all.

Hope this helps.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)