Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

IEPs

Does anyone have an IEP for 'selective mutism' that they would be willing to share, confidential information omitted of course, or perhaps some general 'pointers' or strategies.

I would like to draw up a number of 'general' IEPs that could be adopted for most children with a specific difficulty. For example, I have a General IEP to support children with unclear speech; it includes:

Steps to be taken by staff, including ...

talk to parent/carer - do they understand the child?

request for parent to arrange a hearing test if child has not had one in last 12 months

General strategies to help, including ...

repeat what the child says giving the correct speech model

do not make the child repeat the words

look at the child and give him/her time to talk

I have also included the success criteria and an overview of steps taken.

The reason I have a 'general' IEP is because we often identify the needs and make a referral but then have to wait many weeks or months for professional input; so it helps to have something in place in the meantime.

Any thoughts or strategies?

Edit - Help! How can I change the topic title to read IEPs instead of leps?!

Edited by Guest

I find this interesting and have not come across or thought of 'general IEPs' before.

The criteria you list are things I do before I create an IEP and then move on to writing an IEP with specific strategies.

I like your idea of 'generalism' and wonder if anyone else does this. I am wondering about creating a generic 'pre-IEP' form.

Just thinking out loud really. Do you have your 'general IEP' which then becomes personalised once the child has been seen by SALT or do you use the general one but also personalise it with specific strategies before any SALT appointment?

Sorry so many questions!

I find this interesting and have not come across or thought of 'general IEPs' before.

The criteria you list are things I do before I create an IEP and then move on to writing an IEP with specific strategies.

I like your idea of 'generalism' and wonder if anyone else does this. I am wondering about creating a generic 'pre-IEP' form.

Just thinking out loud really. Do you have your 'general IEP' which then becomes personalised once the child has been seen by SALT or do you use the general one but also personalise it with specific strategies before any SALT appointment?

Sorry so many questions!

Yes, I have a general IEP for all children who need it before they have been seen or I have received advice; afterwards the IEP is personalised to include suggestions given by the SaLT. Speech and language is not a problem, I am happy with what I have done here; I just feel a little 'out of my depth' in other areas and wondered what other strategies others include in their IEPs for selective mutism, glue ear or any other difficulties - perhaps even behaviour.

Personally I wouldn't base IEP targets directly on anything to do with speaking. There was an interesting discussion on this a few moths ago http://eyfs.info/forums/index.php?showtopi...elective+mutism

Giving targets about speaking could put extra pressure on the child and make them less likely to talk and could also be setting them up to fail. Remember IEPs should always be achievable.

My advise would be to set achievable targets based on learning and when the child achieves them this will boost their confidence which indirectly will encourage them to talk.

When I write my IEPs I have 3 targets, usually one maths based, one english and one PSD and I make them very specific because then it's easier to assess whether or not the child has achieved their target and easier for the child to understand what you want them to do.

Hope this is helpful :o

Nursery World had a good article on Selective Mutism a couple of weeks ago.

Also have you got any of the Early Support booklets/info? Some of it is aimed at information for parents-but it helps with 'getting the brain thinking'!!!

(You've just reminded me that that's one of my holiday job that didn't get put on the list)

Edited by louby loo

try THIS site (Talk4meaning)

I've not personally been involved in training with this guy but have heard excellent things. The website has a section on selective mutism

Personally I wouldn't base IEP targets directly on anything to do with speaking. There was an interesting discussion on this a few moths ago http://eyfs.info/forums/index.php?showtopi...elective+mutism

Giving targets about speaking could put extra pressure on the child and make them less likely to talk and could also be setting them up to fail. Remember IEPs should always be achievable.

My advise would be to set achievable targets based on learning and when the child achieves them this will boost their confidence which indirectly will encourage them to talk.

When I write my IEPs I have 3 targets, usually one maths based, one english and one PSD and I make them very specific because then it's easier to assess whether or not the child has achieved their target and easier for the child to understand what you want them to do.

Hope this is helpful :o

The IEPs that I have devised for speech and language are not the 'usual' IEPs - which is why I call them 'General IEPs'. I do not have targets - the IEP includes 'steps to be taken by staff' and 'general strategies' - they are very positive and are meant for use by staff as opposed to sharing with the child, therefore no pressure is placed on the child. They are used so that staff are aware of any difficulties and can adopt the strategies suggested until such times as specific advice is received from the SaLT.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)