Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Sad News

beth1

As some of you may know I have a comical budgie. This is the thread from back in 2007: http://eyfs.info/forums/index.php?showtopi...6&hl=budgie

Well yesterday after ill health recently, we decided to put it out of him out of his misery by going to the vets and putting it to sleep. He was 11 years old (normally live 7-9 years old). We are sad that hes gone, but happy that he's finally at peace.

The funny part we thought as a family was that he costed £5 to buy and £20 to put him to sleep.

Today has been very strange. I have cleaned out the cage. Every now and again mum and I have been wanting to talk to this empty space. I am sure we will get used to it.

We are not sure if we want to get another budgie or a pet. We will see how we feel in a few weeks time.

Oh Beth, how sad, it reminded me of an ex staff member, she had a budgie called George, he was bright yellow but had been crushed in the nest as a chick and had a deformed wing, but could still fly. He had such a great personality, and talked so well, my staff member used to bring him into pre-school and let him out of his cage to meet the children. George died rather suddenly, he had been ill with a cough and had to be put to sleep.

Everyone was very sad and to this day, everyone remembers George and we often reminisce about him when we all get together. She could never bring herself to have another budgie, nobody could replace George! Give it some time Beth, see how you all feel.

So far we have had 3 budgies, this one is the longest we ever had.

I seem to remember we had the 1st one for 4 years (a friend of mine drowned the poor thing, waited all day for me to come home from school and died), 2nd one 9 years and 3rd one 11 years.

We will see how we feel when I have gone back to work. Mum might be very lonely on her own for most of the day.

It's very sad to lose a much loved pet, they leave such a gap in our lives.

I hope once you've had time mourn your budgie you might think of getting another one, you certainly know how to take good care of them.

I remember having a budgie as a child, think it was actually my nans when she came to stay with us. He would sit on our fingers and talk to us, we could bring him right up to close to our mouths and talk to him, often with his beak touching our lips. A fond memory I had forgotten!

And never forget...she who cares wins!!

so sorry it is hard to lose a pet after so long..

I grew up with budgies as my grandad used to breed them , remember his aviary in the garden with them all in, and we always had one in the house...

along with the cats who were always sleeping on top of the cage, and the birds would peck their paws until they got off!

also had one as a pet when we first got married at we could not have any other animals due to the rented properties we had.. we had that budgie trained so well, he chatted away, and would retrieve a ball for us .. never had any problems with finding someone to look after him when we were away, they all wanted the retriever budgie.. he used to drink from our glass.. coke was his choice, avoiding others when it was available.. even when it had bacardi in it! he died at 14 years old.. we never did replace him, but he was such good company.

So sorry to hear that beth. :o

We had to have one of our ferrets put to sleep this week so I know how you're feeling. Even with the other two, there is such a gap.

Pets bring so much fun and joy, they are part of our families and very hard to lose.

Hope you're mom's ok