Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Numbers And Patterns

Hi all,

Just wondered if anyone was using the DCSF document 'numbers and patterns: laying the foundations in mathmatics'. I'm hoping someone would be able to share how they use this document to support their planning of PSRN and whether you teach in the different phases, similarly to phonics and the 'letters and sounds' document.

Hope someone can help me!

Tinky

No but it sounds interesting. Do you have a link to it because as always the skills to navigate the DCSF website illude me!

I haven't used it directly as yet but I know there's some useful stuff in there - particularly suggestions about how to incorporate numbers/patterns into other areas of the classroom e.g. mark-making, water, small world etc. Probably obvious to those of you more experienced than me!

It was published in 2009 and copies sent out to schools. Because it was part of the National Strategies scheme and that site is no longer live I couldn't find a link to it on there - not on DfE publications where some stuff was archived! However I did find a link to it which I've put below.

http://ngfl.northumberland.gov.uk/Maths%20...%20patterns.pdf

The best way (I think) to find all the documents is via teachfind.

Put what you are searching for in the search box and hey presto, it should come up. Sometimes it isn't the first link provided so you may need to scroll down, but in case you still have trouble, here is number and patterns

There are some good resources and ideas in this pack, but it also comes with a health warning. It is NOT designed to be a sequential programme, where you follow phases like you do letters and sounds..poor choice of terminology me thinks. Nor is it meant to be used a tick list whereby chidlren have to 'achieve; each part of it. What it does is break down two important aspects of maths (ie counting sets and number words and numerals) into smaller chunks, to help you see how children's mathematics may develop and also to help you identify area where children can get 'stuck'. It is meant to be used in an adaptable and flexible way for each unique child.

There are some nice activities to inspire you and also some good 'Enabling Environment' cards to help identify the maths going on in sand play, construction etc as well as how you might resources them.

Tinky, I hope that helps.

Come back to me if you have any more questions!.

Thank you! I'll have a good look at that when I've finished being in 'painting the hall, stairs and landing mode' and have returned to'work mode' :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)