Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Able And Talented

Just out of interest really! How many children do you have on the A&T/G&T register and what areas are they 'talented' in?

I had three (gifted), who have now moved on to Reception. In September I will put forward a child who is talented in swimming (100mtr).

Does anyone else have children in their class who is or will be on the A&T register, what are their 'talents' and how do you plan for their needs?

Yes, I know most of you are in 'holiday mode'! I will stop thinking 'school' when my husband starts 'his' holiday (ours?!) in two weeks!

does your lea give you a definition for gifted and talented? you say you have three on the'register' can you explain please?.....i have had children who i would consider G+t but have never had a description. ( i have one at the moment whose gift is maths...he picks up concepts quickly can count in 1/2/4/5/10 and can count to infinity!! :o at the age of 4! also one chap last year who was very artistic...was able to do perfect pictures of spiderman etc before going to school

• Like 1

does your lea give you a definition for gifted and talented? you say you have three on the'register' can you explain please?.....i have had children who i would consider G+t but have never had a description. ( i have one at the moment whose gift is maths...he picks up concepts quickly can count in 1/2/4/5/10 and can count to infinity!! xD at the age of 4! also one chap last year who was very artistic...was able to do perfect pictures of spiderman etc before going to school

At school we have a 'gifted and talented' coordinator. She is responsible for compiling a list of all children in school who are considered 'gifted or talented' (put forward by their teacher or their parent). 'Gifted' describes those who are well above average in 'academic' subject areas and 'talented' describes those who are well above average in the more 'creative' subject areas e.g. art, dance, music - children who excel in the latter are often put forward by their parents for excellence in interests/hobbies more often outside of school. (It's getting late, so I may not have described this as coherently as I could! - I will endeavour to return to this tomorrow!).

The 3 children on the register were for:

1. CLL, PSRN and KUW (Science)

2. CLL (Reading)

3. CD (Drawing)

Child 1 is working at KS1/2 level. He joined the Y2 class for guided reading once a week and has a weekly reading book from the school library (Level 8+ - free reader).

He could read my weekly objectives to the nursery children and would spend much time looking at my planning on the staff noticeboard - on one occasion he asked why we didn't have plasticine out, because it said we did on the planning (quick thinking here - 'we need to buy some more, we didn't realise that it had been used'!) - this very lovely little boy can read anything, or at least have a go. He recently completed the SATs reading test and scored a level 2a (with no previous attempts). His understanding too, is very good (even at age three, though four now). He has an excellent understanding of the number system - like your little one, could recite numbers to infinity - and also say a number that is more than a two, three or four digit number. He knows his two, five, seven, ten and eleven times table. During a visit from the 'Life Education Centre' when we talked about our bodies and keeping healthy he informed the leader that "red cells plus white cells plus water equals blood"; he later went on to say "how white cells 'zap' off the cold germs and eat the bad bacteria that gets into your body when you're ill ...".

This little boy is truly remarkable and I have never come across any child like this before; as such, this example should not be used as a measure!!

Child 2

Is reading at level 2 and, again, has a weekly reading book.

Child 3

Spends much time writing and drawing and was put on the A&T register for her skills in drawing (from observation and memory). She drew a detailed drawing of our local church, after the nativity performance, from a photograph.

We also have a 'shadow' A&T register for those children who are working above 'normal' limits.

You should be able to find information on the National Standards (DfES) website for 'Gifted and Talented' children. I think I am right in saying that approximately 10% of children in your class or setting 'should' (could?) be on the A&T register. I had 78 children in my nursery and pre-school class at the end of the summer term, but had only identified three as being 'A&T'. :o

From what you say, it sounds like you have identified children who could go onto a 'G&T' register - if you are not in a nursery unit, you could easily start your own register.

I will try to find a link for you tomorrow!

Hope this is helpful.

I had a child who I thought might benefit from being registered as being gifted in PRSN and KNW, and the parents refused on account of not wanting the child 'labelled'. My feeling was that the school experience would be enhanced, but the parents (who were in positions to know much better than I) thought not.

Should I have persevered?

On another note, my own child (8) looks like being musically talented. Is the support worth the effort? And...might there be some 'free' lessons in it (she writes hopefully?)

Honey

thanks devonmaid...i have had some experience of G+T in schools at secondary level and have had teachers ask me at pre-school if i consider any children in that catagory but have never had any 'official' information.

Your little'plastercine ' chap sounds great...i love children like this who are just sponges and can not only absorb the information but retain and use it....i've had a few over the years one family (who we are about to get their 4th!) have all started at just under 3 being able to read!!! ...it's just their 'thing'!

I hope one day to be a gifted and talented pre-school leader :oxD:(

(honeypancakes ...yes go for it my daughter got invited on extra trips/invited to do extra curricular etc...no bills paid though!)

• 2 years later...

I have a 4 year old child in our Nursery who is a fluent reader. Has anyone any ideas how to accelerate her learning and at the same time provide a normal Nursery curriculum for the rest of the class. Time management of how to do this? Thanks.

Why do you need to accelerate her learning? Does she not need to have all those "normal" Nursery curriculum experiences too?

Maybe you could provide word banks etc and encourage her to write or instructions etc for her to read for everyone?

I have a 4 year old child in our Nursery who is a fluent reader. Has anyone any ideas how to accelerate her learning and at the same time provide a normal Nursery curriculum for the rest of the class. Time management of how to do this? Thanks.

Hi Melissa and welcome to the forum :1b

How are all other areas for her? Perhaps she might benefit from 'normal nursery curriculum'.........

Absolutely. It is vitally important that she also enjoys everything the Nursery Curriculum has to offer but I am also aware she needs just a little more. She likes to share a book with her friends. Her writing does not match her reading so am setting up opportunities for her to develop her writing skills.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)