Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Talking Area

Hello everyone, just wondered if anybody had ever used a talking area in their Pre-School setting. The idea that I had was that it would be a small area with cushions and pictures of their local area. With only 3 or 4 children allowed in to the area at one time. I hope this will encourage the children to engage in conversation with their peers. It would be a child only area to begin with and maybe if its not working have an adult in there with them. Just wondered what everybody thought and if anyone had something like this in their setting. Any opinions welcome.

Mike

I've made your duplicate post invisible so that people only reply into the one thread!

It sounds like a 'Communication Friendly Space' to me! I'm sure it will work really well. I'd be interested to hear how you get on and how the space is used by the children!

Hi Miike

Think I'm going to pinch your idea of adding local photographs to our communication friendly areas, if you don't mind, I can envisage having A4 sized photos on the wall/A4 folder which could be a real talking point.

Whilst it would be desirable not to have too many children crowded into a talking area, one question that sprang to mind reading your post was how to restrict numbers, and indeed would that restrict opportunities for talking? Just my thoughts :o .

Hi Miike

Think I'm going to pinch your idea of adding local photographs to our communication friendly areas, if you don't mind, I can envisage having A4 sized photos on the wall/A4 folder which could be a real talking point.

Me too!!! What a simple but creative idea, would certainly give good talking points. Great way to get the children involved too....... off on a litte walking trip tomorrow with the camera then. :oxD:(

thank you for the replies. i will have a look on the IKEA site and have a look at the canopy tomorrow. with regards to the number of children, i think it will be a case of seeing how many children are using it, i find trial and error always works best. if they really enjoy i'll prob make the area slightly bigger, i just didnt want to make it too big as i think it would end up getting to loud. i would like to keep it as a peaceful and relaxing enviroment.

We have various places around the pre-school which can be used as talking places. Different children appear to like different types of space. We also vary them throughout the year, as often we find the children are attracted to a 'new' space. This year we have had a corner enclosed with voile curtains and furnished with a sheepskin rug and cushions, a book corner made from a dark den frame with a canopy, an open book corner, an open wire playhouse outside which is great for varying with different drapes, woven materials etc, a willow den, tents, ................................

Any space which is defined can encourage children to talk, and adding some interesting photos / objects can be a good provocation.

Sounds a lovely idea. Children often like a covered den area, basically a table with a large cover over too, just like communication friendly spaces.

Anywhere indoors and outdoors that encourages speech and language has got to be a great thing. :o

Hi there

I've attached a presentation that I gave regarding our Talk Room, it has some pictures (but I took the pictures with the children out) it works so well that I'm making another talk area in the reception classroom. I took some ideas from ABCDOES blog and some form Elizabeth Jarman amoungst others.

Nicky X

ECaT_Presentation_Final.ppt

Edited by nickylear

Thanks for sharing your powerpoint Nicky, seeing the before and after photos really illustrate your vision of making a connection between the home and the setting. Can you tell me how to find out about the ECAT audit tool you used?

http://education.staffordshire.gov.uk/Curr...arlyYears/ecat/

Hi Deb

The link above should have the info that you would need, I used parts 1 & 2 to audit our setting. Using the ECaT audit tool was worth while, we even said that we would use a smaller version of this audit every year.

I've begun to focus on the outdoor area now and have a lot of work to do over the summer to make that ship shape.....I'll post some photos as soon as it done.

We also use the room for diologic book talk.....the talk room has been a fantasitc addition to our setting.

Nicky XX

Many thanks Nicky for your prompt reply. I look forward to reading it. Congratulations on your success with your talking room. I look forward to seeing your outdoor photos too.

Thanks again

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)