Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Paying Staff For Training

We get our normal hourly rate for any overtime. My LA have cut the subsidy for first aid training and it is very expensive. We have found a distance course that can be completed online and is accepted by the powers that be. Costs £30 approx and will be refunded by my setting when I get around to doing it.

Hi. is it possible to let me have a link to this online training. Thanks Joanne

So basically they are employing you on a casual basis which means they can get away with not having to set up proper terms, conditions and contracts yet they won't give you work unless you attend unpaid training? And this is your LEA? :o

not paid for training at our pre-school. We do get £5 expenses per training to a maximum of 5 a year. Have never heard that settings should pay for training, I think it's good practice rather than essential.

O.K. everyone.....I'm having to come clean about my post the other day about the online first aid course. What I meant to write was that it was a food hygiene course and not first aid. So sorry everyone!!! I need a holiday I think.......and a brain transplant! :o

I haven't done the course yet but plan to during the summer. In case anyone is interested in this one it's www.food-certificate.co.uk (sorry can't do the link thing either) and costs £25+ vat.

My apologies again!! xD

O.K. everyone.....I'm having to come clean about my post the other day about the online first aid course. What I meant to write was that it was a food hygiene course and not first aid. So sorry everyone!!! I need a holiday I think.......and a brain transplant! :o

I haven't done the course yet but plan to during the summer. In case anyone is interested in this one it's www.food-certificate.co.uk (sorry can't do the link thing either) and costs £25+ vat.

My apologies again!! :wacko:

xD:( :( Thanks dublinbay - have to say I sort of knew that it couldn't really be First Aid - we have talked about this a s a staff team - points like - er, how do you prove the 'practical stuff' ......... :(

So basically they are employing you on a casual basis which means they can get away with not having to set up proper terms, conditions and contracts yet they won't give you work unless you attend unpaid training? And this is your LEA? :o

Yeap so right!!!

We have asked for contracts as said it would stop us ringing up on the day to cancel sessions as staff would have to attend. However LEA have said no becuase they would have to add a whole host of other benefits that would cost them more and yeap it is the local authority too

However LEA have said no becuase they would have to add a whole host of other benefits that would cost them more

The regulations on this are changing though. Agency/casual workers will have the same employment rights including holiday some time soon. Worth doing some research, I think! I had an email about it from hmrc (I think) but deleted it because soon I'll be an ex-employer.

Yes HappyMaz, there's an article about this in Nursery World this week. If a setting uses same agency staff for 12 consecutive weeks (whole weeks or part of) they then have same rights as full time staff to breaks, holiday pay and presumably training ?

As I'm currently working as agency supply, one of the many things I miss about being a permanent staff member is access to training and staff meetings, which sadly I have to admit I thoroughly enjoy.

• 1 month later...
Hi

Can anyone please help me out? Where does it state that staff have to be paid for training? Just so I have the evidence to back it up when I approach wok.

Also other job is saying that next year we won't be paid for the week long training programme we currently have to attend and so I also need it for this job too.

Thanks in advance

it should be in your polies if you do not pay for staff training do you pay if they attend on a day they would normaly work ?we pay for all training except nvq's. your policies and procedures are your back up staff may be told as part of interview and or induction. maybe you need to check out ACAS for employees rights for any changes being made regards to pay

good luck

tuppence :o

I run a small pre-school and believe that my staff team should be paid for training - whatever it is - AND YES IT COSTS! This is after all a PROPER JOB and unless we treat it like one then we will never get the professional recognition deserved - Rant over :o

However my understanding of whether it should be paid or not comes from the business link website - link below:

My understanding is that if as an employer I request my staff to undertake training required or for their professional development I should pay them - if my staff request to undertake training for themselves I don't have to.

These bits are from the website

Training time

A worker must be paid the NMW for time spent training in connection with the employment at or away from the place of work.

For example, where someone is new to the team and needs to undergo training to familiarise themselves with certain aspects such as health and safety or IT, they are entitled to NMW for this time. Similarly, where workers are required to attend evening training or late night openings, they are entitled to the NMW for this period. A worker who is required to undertake training prior to starting their job is entitled to NMW for any hours spent training.

Business Link

Payment for time spent training

Employees have the right to request that you allow them time to undertake training. They do not have the right to be paid for the time spent training when you agree to their request. However, you may agree to this recognising the value of the investment.

It may be that you agree to their request for time to train, and reach agreement with the employee that they will work flexibly to make up the time spent training, or that they will take unpaid time off to train.

In considering this you also need to have regard to the national minimum wage and working time regulations as there are different rules around where training time is treated as working time for these purposes.

Business Link 2

Hope that helps!

Our LEA has in the past paid for supply cover and we have always paid staff for training even in house training when it has not been covered by LEA

this year however they are no longer providing supply cover, so we will have to some how find a budget for training as i feel that we should not ask staff to do training without being paid

this would not happen in other companies

I run a small pre-school and believe that my staff team should be paid for training - whatever it is - AND YES IT COSTS! This is after all a PROPER JOB and unless we treat it like one then we will never get the professional recognition deserved - Rant over :o

However my understanding of whether it should be paid or not comes from the business link website - link below:

My understanding is that if as an employer I request my staff to undertake training required or for their professional development I should pay them - if my staff request to undertake training for themselves I don't have to.

TOTALLY AGREE

I am in the same situation. I now work budgets to ensure this happens for my staff.

If I want quality staff they need to recieve quality training and you get what you pay for!

Sorry to sound on about it but we want to raise the quality it needs to be considered in budgets.

Yes LAs have cut budgets and still want quality, but I worry that it will slip back and staff will not be as well trained anymore! My rant over sorry

Just pasionate about valuing staff in early years and as stated by Suej IT IS A PROPER JOB if not i might just as well go and run out infront of a bus! because I would have wasted the last 25 years

Sue