Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Pay

We are a small( but fully booked for the next year )pre-school in a small rural village. Myself and another lady are the leaders and are responsible for everything except finances. We have 13 key children each as none of the other staff are qualified. As you can imagine completing learning journeys and tracking charts takes quite a long time. As a pre-school we are very well off and have over £6000 in the bank. As leaders we are paid £7.60 but are wondering what the going rate is? We are both level 3s. My other question is; do any of you get paid for all the school holidays even half pay? Would love to hear from you to see what other people are getting.

Our leader is on £7.95 per hour. She's just completed her foundation degree. We are committee run so she doesn't have to do fee's, funding, waiting list, payroll.

All the staff are paid for 22 hours a week (although that doesn't cover all the hours they work some weeks) 39 weeks per year plus holiday paid pro-rata. Its all bundled up and divided into 12 equal monthly payments.

When we're lucky enough to have money in the bank we tend to try our best to keep it there for redundancies mostly, just in case and for any big purchases we'd like. Money in the bank doesn't necessarily mean we're rich unfortunately.

Sorry to be a bit negative here, but I think that to ask for more pay with £6k in the bank is a little daft. All businesses (whether privately managed or charity) should keep at leat 3 months of working capital in the bank at all times. That is, 3 months of pay plus NI, 3 months of rent and 3 months worth of cover for all other running costs. I suspect that £6k would struggle to do that, so in my eyes, there is no surplus as such.

Well of course we always keep 3 months contingency money in the bank. Not after an hourly increase but would like to know if having some kind of retainer paid during school holidays is something any other group does. We are incredibly lucky and do not pay any rent for our premises so running costs are kept quite low.

We used to have a bonus given at the end of a financial year if there was surplus money in the pot , usually 2/3 weeks pay, but it did vary, if no surplus then no bonus, we all understood this.

Committee also kept a note of any major additional hours we worked, manager kept a log of extra hours worked, they took this into account as well and if some had worked a lot of extra hours and we had not been able to pay them at the time, sometimes there was no money to pay early in the year but it evened out later when they could then be paid.. could be for a closure day we had to make or a weekend event we had attended, unpaid training, or just a lot of learning journey books that took longer than the hour extra a week we were all paid.

we had in the bank the 3 months contingency, which usually was used as a buffer for the Sept to Dec period and recouped for rest of year, plus all the redundancy due to the staff.. which did add up if you have an established staff with a setting for a long time.

When I worked in a setting that opened termly we did the hourly rate x hours per week plus holiday pay etc all added up and divided by 12 so that we got 12 paydays through the year.....although you were getting less on the months you were working when you got your August pay slip and you were at home sunning yourself it always felt like you were being paid for doing nothing if that makes sense :o

When I worked in a setting that opened termly we did the hourly rate x hours per week plus holiday pay etc all added up and divided by 12 so that we got 12 paydays through the year.....although you were getting less on the months you were working when you got your August pay slip and you were at home sunning yourself it always felt like you were being paid for doing nothing if that makes sense :o

that's exactly what our setting does (Committee run)

We always have 3 months money in reserve should we have to close, other than that there's hardly anything to spare.

Leader is paid £7.00 per hour and is Level 3

Your pay entitlement is the weeks you work plus 4 weeks holiday pay and Bank holidays (think its a total of 28 days - or pro rata hours if you are part- time) this is a legal requirement and if the committee aren't paying you then they could be in trouble. You can't really expect to be paid for the whole 6 weeks summer holiday, a lot of my colleagues who work in pre-schools have a summer job as well to supplement thier pay, in holiday clubs or other places. :o