Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Names On Board?

hi

Can I have your opinions on this query I have

I'm in reception (worked as a NN for 10 years now in my 2nd year of teaching) and the school behaviour policy states children's names are written on the board if they dont follow the rules. hurt each other, don't follow instructions etc. I have been asked to start this in reception in the final term 'to get the children used to it for year 1'. I feel this is not appropriate as the children are learning how to behave and writing their name for all to see publicly humiliates them and I can see it damaging some children's self esteem. (also if I followed it to the letter I'd have half the class on the board!) In class we always deal with unwanted behaviours by talking to the children, removing them, etc so there are consequences to poor behaviour.

what do you think? what do you do in your class?

thanks x

not a teacher... but from a parents point of view I would be infuriated to find that my child had been humiliated in this way.. actually would do at any age... and would be there like a shot to argue my point about self esteem and how it makes the child feel, and all the other things I can think of as to why this is not good for the child... including the fact that they obviously dont know how to control the children's behaviour and they need to go on a behaviour management course to learn the different ways of helping the child instead of humiliating them...

*off soap box half way*

my other issue is the 'getting them ready for xxx ' no year is there to 'get them ready' for anything.. it is a learning stage in its own right and should be used as such.. are all the other years spending this term doing things to get them ready for the next year... these children need to be able to continue having the teaching that is geared to them and their needs.. not something that is supposed to give the next year teacher an easier time...

ok may not have phrased it quite right but it is something I really feel strongly about.. having worked in early years for so long I lost track of the number of times I had to justify why I was not doing xyz to get them ready for school... not my job they will learn that fast enough when they get to school..

* off soap box *

gone into hiding now!!

not a teacher... but from a parents point of view I would be infuriated to find that my child had been humiliated in this way.. actually would do at any age... and would be there like a shot to argue my point about self esteem and how it makes the child feel, and all the other things I can think of as to why this is not good for the child... including the fact that they obviously dont know how to control the children's behaviour and they need to go on a behaviour management course to learn the different ways of helping the child instead of humiliating them...

*off soap box half way*

my other issue is the 'getting them ready for xxx ' no year is there to 'get them ready' for anything.. it is a learning stage in its own right and should be used as such.. are all the other years spending this term doing things to get them ready for the next year... these children need to be able to continue having the teaching that is geared to them and their needs.. not something that is supposed to give the next year teacher an easier time...

ok may not have phrased it quite right but it is something I really feel strongly about.. having worked in early years for so long I lost track of the number of times I had to justify why I was not doing xyz to get them ready for school... not my job they will learn that fast enough when they get to school..

* off soap box *

gone into hiding now!!

Hi Inge

I'm with you on all those points! (and I am a teacher) I am forever battling to provide learning for the children that is right for them, not to 'prepare them for next year'

thanks

our local reception class has a big grey cloud for 'naughty children's' names and a lovely big yellow sunshine for the 'good boys and girls'.........................and it always seems to be the same children on each. 'Naughty' behaviour might be the child wasn't sitting up straight enough at register time..............or called out a comment at story time ( to do with the story!)......................and i agree, it's hugely horrid for self-esteem.

edited due to poor punctuation!

Edited by narnia

Guest rainyjaney

We were talking about this in our setting earlier this week.We definitely don't do it - we are a preschool - but it is obviously used in several schools in our area. Not something I would ever have been happy with when my own children were that age.Perhaps, if school insist on it, could you put names up for good behaviour but not for less good behaviour? Might possibly act as an incentive to some of the children.

We were talking about this in our setting earlier this week.We definitely don't do it - we are a preschool - but it is obviously used in several schools in our area. Not something I would ever have been happy with when my own children were that age.Perhaps, if school insist on it, could you put names up for good behaviour but not for less good behaviour? Might possibly act as an incentive to some of the children.

Hi

I have done just that in our class - we now have a smiley board that says 'who has made use smile today' and children and adults can nominate children who should be on it :o . but I still have to have the 'bad' board which is horrible xD . hmmmm...

ok firstly i really dont agree with this sort of behaviour management (and have seen it in action :o ) but if you have to do it what about a sort of three strikes and 'your out' system so maybe an amber warning signal then a red one and then they get their name recorded....not the way i would want to operate but maybe a half way house xD

I think reverse psycology does work to a certain extent as rainyjainey has suggested and could act as an incentive. However are their any other more proactive measures for children with behavioural issues. I really cannot see how putting a child's name on a board makes the slightest difference to a child that finds it difficult to follow classroom rules and acceptable behaviour. xD

Come on all you fantastic teachers tell me their is another way. :o

one system that has been trialled with older children admittedly, is like the secret shopper system in large shopping malls.

The idea is that the teacher chooses one of the children in class to be the secret student and observes their behaviour for a specified time. If their behaviour is good during that time the teacher announces who the child is, they get a reward and the whole class receive a treat.

As none of the children know who the secret student is, it can produce behaviour in them all to remind each other to behave well.

If the secret student has not produced the required behaviour for the required time, they are not denounced by the teacher, the teacher just says that the secret student chosen did not perform well and therefore, no treat will be forthcoming for the class!

Perhaps to begin with children that generally behave well could be chosen, so that the idea of reward and being cheered by the classmates is seen as a very positive thing, before choosing a child whose behaviour can be erratic at the best of times, but does give them the opportunity to shine.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)