Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

First Aid Box

There was something in the standards I think - we certainly have a list because I bought a load of stuff that we've never used and I've had to throw it out - medium sterile bandage or whatever. (when I say 'throw it out' I don't mean in the bin, obviously, role play benefits!)

Just wondered if anyone has a list telling us what should be in our First Aid Box?

Our list goes back to 1981!

many thanks

looks like that's right then!! This is the wording from the latest Pre-school Learning Alliance Policy documents. And when I ordered a refill pack from The Consortium last week - this is what it contained (except there were 6 large and 3 small dressings, but hey...)

Our first aid kit complies with the Health and Safety (First Aid) Regulations 1981 and contains the following items only:

 Triangular bandages (ideally at least one should be sterile) - x 4.

 Sterile dressings:

a) Small (formerly Medium No 8) - x 3.

:o Medium (formerly Large No 9) – HSE 1 - x 3.

c) Large (formerly Extra Large No 3) – HSE 2 - x 3.

 Composite pack containing 20 assorted (individually-wrapped) plasters 1.

 Sterile eye pads (with bandage or attachment) eg No 16 dressing 2.

 Container or 6 safety pins 1.

 Guidance card as recommended by HSE 1.

Hope that helps.

x x x

Does anyone use plasters?

For ages we have said that we do not put plasters on children but other than the fact that they might be allergic to them and that they tend to pull them off being totally unhygenic.

I would be very interested in what others do.

thank you

Debbie

If parents sign on the registration form that they are happy for us to put a plaster on, we do. So far no-one's refused, but if they did we'd use a small sterile bandage if there was a need to staunch some blood or keep a wound clean

just to say that the micropore sticky stuff you use to fix a bandage is made of the same stuff as hypoallergenic plasters so if you are going to stick on a bandage you might as well stick on a plaster....of course either are preferable to leaving an open wound! if children are allergic to plasters it is likely to only be a very localised rash, much less harmful than 'raw' blood around! :o ... i guess from this you can tell we use plasters!! xD

Guest Spiral

When I did my last first aid training, they were very down to earth, stating that a wound left open is unhygienic for the child and the other users of the setting, therefore a slight allergic reation is a better bet than risking blood contamination (especially as hiv does not have to be disclosed by the parent/carer according to the law).

Hope that helps,

Spiral

Thank you all for your replies.

If blood loss was a factor I would use one of the sterile dressings. I was thinking more of the parents that come in saying "Daisy's tripped over on her way to school can you put a plaster on her knee" type of thing where there is the tiniest graze apparent!

God I sound like an uncaring person but I will review our current no plaster rule.

Thank you all for your replies.

If blood loss was a factor I would use one of the sterile dressings. I was thinking more of the parents that come in saying "Daisy's tripped over on her way to school can you put a plaster on her knee" type of thing where there is the tiniest graze apparent!

God I sound like an uncaring person but I will review our current no plaster rule.

in these cases i hand the parent a wipe and a plaster... otherwise i have to glove up and take responsibility for it!!!(yeah i'm caring too xD:o )

Guest Spiral

i know exactly where you are coming from, not uncaring, but wary of all of the rules and red tape.

If someone comes into the setting and needs first aid, we give mum/dad our first aid box and ask them to do it - then we ask them to fill out the accident form too! cheeky I know but it ticks the box,

Spiral

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)