Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Child Attending Two Settings

Hi All,

For the first time in a long while we have a child attending our setting as well as another.

Does anyone have documentation and/or ideas they would be prepared to share regarding sharing of information with the other setting?

Thank you

Radish

We have KEYPIE notebooks for the Key persons to share info and these go in the child's book bag and parents pass them between the two settings

Look here for previous chats

Edited by Cait

Hi All,

For the first time in a long while we have a child attending our setting as well as another.

Does anyone have documentation and/or ideas they would be prepared to share regarding sharing of information with the other setting?

Thank you

Radish

We have tried on several occassions to work in partnership with other settings and have really come across a brick wall, It seems I am the only setting in my area willing to share!!.

the only one it worked with was a child minder and this worked really well, we used our profile book and she took it home each half term and updated it and highlighted DM's in a different colour to us.

well it's interesting you should flag this just now, because I've just found out that a child who leaves us this year has been attending another setting whilst he's been with us - never had even an inkling of this - parents have never mentioned it - It's only come to light because she said "Jimmy won't be in tomorrow because he's going on the playgroup trip" oh, well thanks for that!!!

Aargh! It makes me want to scream sometmes. Parent's don't realise it could be beneficial for the child, other settings take and don't give, etc. Our LA knows about the issues with other settings not sharing and always tell us they are going to look into it. It's only taken 3 years so far since EYFS made it official for them to do nothing.

• 3 weeks later...

Do your parents not have to complete the grant funding forms? Our parents have to provide details of other nurseries/pre-schools used and the hours that are being claimed, whether funded or not.

I send a letter to other settings introducing myself and send with it an observation, the parent also signs the bottom of the letter giving permission for the observation to be passed on; the parent takes it to the other nursery herself. In the letter I invite the other nursery to send observation/s back. Then I have a small slip that says 'A copy of this observation has been sent to the child's other early years provider' (or words to that effect!) - this of course is put in the learning journey. The keyworker takes the responsibility of sending the letter and observation. Like others, I have not yet received a reply or any observations - BUT I have shared information which is clear for Ofsted to see when they come in the autumn - so I have covered myself, even if the other providers have not!

Do your parents not have to complete the grant funding forms? Our parents have to provide details of other nurseries/pre-schools used and the hours that are being claimed, whether funded or not.

I send a letter to other settings introducing myself and send with it an observation, the parent also signs the bottom of the letter giving permission for the observation to be passed on; the parent takes it to the other nursery herself. In the letter I invite the other nursery to send observation/s back. Then I have a small slip that says 'A copy of this observation has been sent to the child's other early years provider' (or words to that effect!) - this of course is put in the learning journey. The keyworker takes the responsibility of sending the letter and observation. Like others, I have not yet received a reply or any observations - BUT I have shared information which is clear for Ofsted to see when they come in the autumn - so I have covered myself, even if the other providers have not!

Have had a very recent ofsted inspection and it was an area that was flagged up! as previously mentioned I have tried but come up against a brick wall. explained this to the inspector who sympathised with me but said we need to keep persuing wwith the other settings as it would be one thing they look at for outstanding practice!!!!!

Something to consider is if a child is attending a two settings, is which setting are claiming the 15 hours funding - some parents will try to claim it from both (not letting on that their child attends two settings). As a school nursery we cannot charge for places, so additional settings MUST be the one that the parents pay for, to enable the school to claim the funding for the place. Apparently in my absence my school lost quite a bit of funding due to parents trying to claim the free funding for both places - although I don't know how I'm going to make a difference when I return!. Personally I would love to link up with other settings the children attend/have attended but its often difficult to get them to respond, although by the very nature of daily contact with childminders I can share information with them. Maybe I should make a more personal effort in calling rather than writing - is just always tricky finding the time!

Hmm would be nice if I could encourage them to contribute to their children's learning journey's too...*wheels in brain slowly turning*(well it is a saturday night!) ..definitely worth some thought!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)