Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Foundation Degree

my friend has decided to take up the foundation degree but isnt very confirdent in the bit about why you want to undertake this. I have read her piece and put forward ideas but am now feeling bit worried that its not enough.

can anyone tell me what sort of thing they wrote so i can calm myself down please x

I was totally honest on the form and when I went to the interview, I told them I didn't particularly want to do it but felt because I was the supervisor and because of the government guidelines (at the time!) that I had to do it. It worked as I've just finished my 2nd year :o

I was totally honest on the form and when I went to the interview, I told them I didn't particularly want to do it but felt because I was the supervisor and because of the government guidelines (at the time!) that I had to do it. It worked as I've just finished my 2nd year :o

I think the answer is to be honest. If you are doing it because you have been promised an increase in pay (ha ha) say so. If it's because you feel it will give you more confidence with your day to day work, all the better.

I think if the tutors know what you are expecting they can make adaptations to their teaching or delivery.

I have just completed the degree. I have found the assignment writing a bit sticky, and intense, but I have learnt so much and been inspired to look at other ways of working.

I cannot recommend the course enough.

I have to add that I have also made some incredible friends and found this forum too!

Good Luck.

Before I say this I must say that I am not in charge of allocating places on Foundation Degree courses. However I do teach on the Foundation Degree and I have to say that teaching learners who really do not want to be there can be a real challenge if they don't somehow find the motivation they need to keep going, especially when the going gets tough. Which is does for almost everyone at some point or other.

So if I were in charge of interviewing and offering places on the Degree (and assuming I had more applicants than places which seems more and more likely these days) I would definitely offer a place to someone who could demonstrate real instrinsic motivation to learn rather than to someone who said they were being pushed to do it almost against their will because having a degree educated practitioner would attract more funding for the setting, or would result in a higher salary.

blondie it doesn't sound to me as if your friend is in this position though, or she wouldn't be fretting about her personal statement. My advice would be to be herself, don't try to be too clever but just say what she is hoping to learn and how she believes her practice will improve and develop as a result of her undertaking this study, and in turn how she believes this will impact on children's development and learning.

oh gawd I hope I haven't offended anyone :( . I am honest and the only reason I signed up for the course is because the government said every setting had to have an EYP but we are a self run setting and it won't result in extra pay for me etc so I'm definitely not doing it for the monetary benefits and actually wasn't aware you get extra funding?

Now I'm on the course I am learning a lot - it's by no way easy and I really struggle with the assignments and I think there is a hell of a lot in there that absolutely is not needed but I'm plodding on :o

Sorry again If anyone took offence it wasn't meant xD

oh gawd I hope I haven't offended anyone :o .

I certainly didn't take offence, mrsbat - I just wanted to put the opposing view!

wasn't aware you get extra funding?

Some Local Authorities base their quality enhancement of their single funding formula on the level of qualifications within the staff team. So in our LA you get a set amount for the percentage of the staff team qualified to Level 3, a bit extra if you have an EYP on the team. Also in our LA you can qualify for extra funding to support groups to 'grow their own' graduate.

I'm glad to hear you're finding it so worthwhile, mrsbat. It is such a fantastic opportunity to study at this higher level but as you say, it is hard and relentless but the rewards both in personal and professional gains are well worth it. Keep plugging on!

No offence taken at all! What does offend me are those who sign up to do the course because they are told to or hope to get more money and then complain all the way through it and don't want to open their eyes to anything they may be able to learn, or to anything others might bring to their practice. Sorry - a bit unprofessional there - but I don't consider you to be in that category from your posts.