Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Suitable Person Interview

Hi

Well our newish manager (7 months in job) has just been called from OFSTED to say they are coming to do this next week. I did warn her months ago to expect it, told her to read up on welfare requirments, the sef, policies, risk assessments etc. She isnt feeling very confident about it and said to me "but I havent read that small book yet" (welfare requirments!!). Im just not sure how she is going to do.

I also sent her what was said about the interview on this forum and what to expect. When we took her on she was a nursery nurse but no experience of running a club (she was the only suitable applicant after months of advertising. We were about to close. She took it on as we said we would support her, get her lots of training etc). We sent her on OFSTED requirments course, safeguarding course, designated person course and leadership and management course (she is going on welfare requirments course in july) and she is getting there. She still however needs quite a bit of support from myself when it comes to decision making etc. What do you think OFSTED will make of this? Will they take this into account?

They havent contacted me (chair) for interview although the last chair they did try to get before she resigned in April.

Can you fail this? What do you have to do if you do fail? You can tell Im feeling for her?

Do you find out straight away?

Thanks

Edited by marley

I have never heard of anyone failing a suitable persons interview, marley. I imagine that you'd have to give very weak answers to Mrs O's questions indeed to be deemed to be unsuitable! My advice would be for her to relax, think through her answers and try not to panic! My interview was on my first day in the job, and my boss was on hand for the first few questions just to make sure I was doing OK. Generally Mrs O isn't there to try and catch you out and if you don't understand what she's asking or don't give the right answers, she'll rephrase it so you know what she's looking for!

She might like to read the welfare requirements in the meantime though! I think I found out straight away, because my inspector signed my CRB application form there and then! Not sure if that happens now though.

Good luck to you both - let us know how it goes!

I havent heard of anyone failing either marley.

I'd say that because she has been on recent training with more to come, then Ofsted will be able to see she is aware of the help she needs.

I wa told for my interview to say 'I dont know that, but I know where I can find out'. After all, no-one can be expected to know all the things we have to know off the top of our heads. Tell her not to panic.

as the others have said ive never heard of anyone failing. Tell her to keep calm and answer honestly and i'm sure if she dosnt have an answer as long as she can say how she find out she will do fine. :o

as the others have said ive never heard of anyone failing. Tell her to keep calm and answer honestly and i'm sure if she dosnt have an answer as long as she can say how she find out she will do fine. :o

..her answer would be "Id ask Marley!!!" xD:( :(

Thanks for putting my mind (and hers at rest)

Sorry to be the voice of doom but I do know of someone who failed theirs :o Essentially they were told immediately and the inspector also telephoned the registered person and the LA. They were given a grace period in which to secure another individual to become the manager and the person who failed was given feedback on what to learn/train on/etc and told to reapply no sooner than six months later. The setting went through hell and tbh so did we as we had all their parents coming asking for places as they thought the setting was going to close down. The last part was exacerbated by the registered person deciding to withdraw their support at the same time though so you might not have the same extremes in every case.

On a brighter note in the two suitable person interviews that our setting has had in last three years, the inspector was perfectly happy for the manager to answer that she would check requirements in xyz, or she knew which policy it was stated in for some of the questions, rather than knowing every little detail verbatim.

I didnt feel my interview was too bad at all.

We had actually not opened at the time, and some of the policies were not written by then (I think it was about 6 months before we opened) but the O lady just checked we were gong to get various policies done and said they would be looked at on the first inspection within 6 months of registration.

We were opening lunch club, private nursery sessions and afterschool club all at the same time and so for instance when she asked something about afterschool I was honest and said I wasnt sure until it was up and running. . . . but I thought maybe it would be. . . . . I dont think any of the questions were very difficult. Lots of common sense type stuff.

She did ask about safeguarding issues but again, common sense answers and at that time I was working in a nursery (part of which was about to go "private" hence all this registration stuff!) and so had some knowledge that I spoke about.

I hope she gets on OK!

I wish i hadnt read this thread i have mine tomorrow and i had calmed down about it, now feeling a bit xD:o

Best of luck! Let us know how you get on!

Sorry to be the voice of doom but I do know of someone who failed theirs :o Essentially they were told immediately and the inspector also telephoned the registered person and the LA. They were given a grace period in which to secure another individual to become the manager and the person who failed was given feedback on what to learn/train on/etc and told to reapply no sooner than six months later. The setting went through hell and tbh so did we as we had all their parents coming asking for places as they thought the setting was going to close down. The last part was exacerbated by the registered person deciding to withdraw their support at the same time though so you might not have the same extremes in every case.

Hope this doesnt happen to us..took us 3 months to get the manager we have got now! If you did get a new manager where does that leave the old one??? Surely you couldnt sack her? Then you could be left with 2 managers?

Finleysmaid - I'm sure you will be fine. This person had very little EYFS experience prior to starting the role.

Marley, I assume that the person who has been employed would be considered "not fit for the role" and therefore you would have an opportunity to either find them another role in the setting or replace them but I'm not sure. The person in my example decided to leave so it didn't arise as an issue.

well it was sort of ok but when the inspector arrived she said ok so im here to do the new registration inspection

Ummmm are you? i thought you were doing a suitable person interview??? :o :wacko:

after much confusion and lots of phonecalls she did the new inspection interview and then tagged on a few questions in the hope that she can join the two up together! very confusing!

anyway questions asked

safeguarding/interviewing/qualification and identity checks/equality/ training/observation, planning and assessment ...only took 3 hours xD

couple of odd questions but not too bad. The only problem i had was i asked for my deputy to join us...the inspector was not happy about it i said that our policy was that we dont do these sort of things without a witness (i have posted before about our previous ofsted inspections) she was not happy but agreed as long as my depouty did not contribute....i felt much better for having support even if she didn't say anything it was great to have her there :( so one more hurdle jumped only another few hundred to go.

Thanks for all the support :(

so all ok holly :(

She passed! After a grueling 2.5 hs the inspector told her she was fine and that we should expect a letter soon..phew...now have to sort out recruiting as just ahd staff member resign...it never stops!