Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Impact Of Colour On The Learning Environment

Deb

• 1 month later...
Does anybody know where I can find out about the impact of the colour of the learning environment on children's learning?

Thanks

There is a publication called 'Communication Friendly Spaces - Improving speaking and listening skills in the Early Years Foundation Stage' by Elizabeth Jarman - it is published by The Basic Skills Agency www.basic-skills.co.uk

Not sure if it's still available, but was given to providers by our LA

It is an excellent 40 page A4 spiral-bound booklet and comes with a DVD. There is a section re: colour schemes.

Just in case you haven't come across it!

There is a publication called 'Communication Friendly Spaces - Improving speaking and listening skills in the Early Years Foundation Stage' by Elizabeth Jarman - it is published by The Basic Skills Agency www.basic-skills.co.uk

Not sure if it's still available, but was given to providers by our LA

It is an excellent 40 page A4 spiral-bound booklet and comes with a DVD. There is a section re: colour schemes.

Just in case you haven't come across it!

Thanks DevonMaid for the link, the Basic Skills Agency is no more apparently but I have emailed NIACE as per the instructions on the website. Worth a try I thought for such a good resource!

Thanks DevonMaid for the link, the Basic Skills Agency is no more apparently but I have emailed NIACE as per the instructions on the website.

You might also try Elizabeth Jarman's website. I think I remember reading that she is updating/reissuing it. Although I might have just made that up.

Just checked - you can find the CFS Toolkit here although I'm not sure how it compares with the original publication.

Yes I did, it was interesting, wasn't it. Although I must admit it 'lost me' a couple of times. I was also confused as to why the bloke making the lighting blue kept saying blue was a warm colour

I ordered communication friendly spaces approach toolkit on Monday plus 'A place to talk in pre-school' and 'A place to talk outside'. All arrived today! Very pleased with it :)

On a slight deviation from this thread, I introduced a 'quiet place' in my preschool as an antidote to the sometimes hectic environment in a busy preschool. I turned the space under the stairs into a starry haven complete with soft seating, mobiles and soft music, (all in shades of blue as it happens) and a door that only small people can access. The children know that they can leave the playroom and spend 5 minutes in this area just chilling, even our 2 year old can use this area effectively and I have noticed a lessening in inappropriate behaviour as children are learning to diffuse and deal with their feelings themselves as they take themselves out of situations and just relax. The website i drew inspiration from is www.aquietplace.co.uk. Interested stuff, wish I'd read about it before I spent 4 months deciding on a subject for my dissertation!!!