Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Topics

Hello all,

Just wondered if you could help me. I have a meeting next week with my head and the FS coordinator..... we are going to discuss long term planning and the head wants a list of possible topics. I have the usual; people who help us, transport, festivals, ourselves, seasons, minibeasts but wondered if you lot might have some more intersting fun suggestions....... please share with me! Thanks.

Emma x :D

Hi Emma Jane,

We've used one story as the focus before or an author which can take you in lots of different directions e.g. Eric Carle we used once and 'Where the wild things are' another time.

We did a lovely topic when I worked with a very artisitic NNEB and we just called it 'Artists' and we covered Andy Goldsworthy sculptures which linked to mathematical work on pattern. Kandinsky which included lots of work on colour mixing, shapes, lines and music. Chinese art, we visited China Town and took aprt in a workshp at the Arts Centre making origami flowers and Shadow puppets which inspired our language work. It was amazing how we managed to make links across the curriculum.

I think it might be good to have a topic about a local place or theme and then you can incorporate a visit which will inspire the childrens' work acrss the curriculum.

Hope these thoughts are of some use !!

Galleon :o

We do a two year cycle of topics/themes.

Journeys - including we travel around the local area by bus and on foot

Fairy Tales

Favourite Stories - Elmer, Blue Balloon, Mr Gumpy, Grandpas Handkerchief etc

Number Rhymes

What's in the Box? - tool box, toy box, picnic box, jewellery box, can't think of others at the moment

Animals/Bears

Toys

Homes - (my favourite)

Circus

People in our Community

Ourselves

Weather

Celebrations

Light and Dark

Always looking to do different ones as well

Sue J

Hi there - we've just come up with sound and noise as possiblity for a new and boisterous boy led September intake .

All about me

Lght and Dark, water, air, journeys, Zoo/Africa, underground, growth, pets, dinosaurs, bob the Builder, all lending themselves to stories you can use. just lots and lots. We tend to use rather vague titles like growth and then they can be adapted to the children's interests but still linked into the main theme for planning.

thank you kind people! I have an extensive list to mull over now. I'm loving the 'artists' idea. Please let me know if anyone has any different ones.

Emma :)

We also do celebrations at the end of the Autumn term leads very nicely into Christmas - lots of other festivals around this time as well.

*Welcome to our group *Me and my family *Homes *Growth of a plant *Harvest *Healthy Food *Shopping *Festivals: Diwali, Eid-al-fitr, Hanukkah *Toys *St. Nicolas *Christian Christmas *Bears *Colours *Sounds *Community Helpers *Spring * Easter *Minibeasts *The jungle *Under the sea *Time *In the air or Up in the Sky *Around the world

Edited by SmileyPR

"Where the wild things are" and within that look at Dear Zoo, Greedy Zebra, Noah's Ark, Minibeasts and make believe creatures.

we've just done a topic on under the sea, which the children have absolutely loved... and we're moving onto up in the skiy agfter half term.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)