Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Disney Princesses

finding this very hard for ideas when there is a particular very strong interest within our large preschool.....can anyone help me with next weeks planning ideas? :o

Latest princess is Rapunzel of course - something to do with hair perhaps? or building tall towers? Following trails? Painting pictures of magic flowers? Designing a shield for a soldier?

We have had a lot of interest in princesses over the last few weeks. We had small circle times with children talking about their favourites, why they liked them, what their story was about, what they wore, etc children then painted the princess they liked best (it was a very sexist discussion I have to say with just one token male...)

Dressing up clothes (obviously)- made a boudoir with dressing table, tiaras, hair bands, clips, padded hangers (which really encouraged keeping the area tidy). Made a collection of diffferent versions of the same story included the Disney version, voted for our favourite version - Disney did not win which surprised me.

We had cut out dolls and children cut out rags/ballgowns and dressed the doll. Designed tiaras, had a jewel hunt, had an objects related to story hunt - eg for Sleeping Beauty we had a picture of a spinning wheel, wand, palace, prince.

I was hoping to lead the children into a voyage of discovery about spinning wheels, what were they, what were they used for, etc

but sadly we were firmly fixated on the pink! I introduced a super hero theme alongside - I was the only one who voted for Prince Charming, my nursery class would rather Cinders married Ben 10.

Posy

some great ideas Posy. We sang the princess long ago song and the boys loved being the gallant knight who came riding by and chopped down the forest that grew all around. We also made up a song for 5 princesses ages ago and resurrected that.

We have plenty of princess puzzles and matching games etc. too. I blew up the faces of the princesses on the photocopier so that they could decorate and make masks, tiaras etc. this week the boys have made armour from cardboard packaging, swords too with card and tinfoil.

I have to say though, we have had a very split girl/boy group this year, usually they have all just mucked in a played together, but this year the girls are not that keen on our boys and the boys just love playing with the boys! it's like the north south divide some days.

I'd like to address this from a contrary parent's point of view. We (my husband and I) try not to consumerise our children so have been careful not to expose them to commercial television and Disney (in particular but not exclusively) merchandise. We think school should be like the BBC when it comes to advertising.

So, the lovely generic ideas that have been put forward are perfect for children in our view, but promoting Disney Princesses would not be. I'd like prior warning of that type of lesson so that I could excuse my children. So there!! Aren't we just the big meanies!???

Honey

No you're not meanies at all and I fully understand your point of view.I was quite dismayed that the children in my nursery knew so much about all things Disney which is why I planned the book sharing ideas, introducing the stories in more traditional format. As I said in my previous post, once the children were exposed to different versions of the same story they actually voted overall for a non Disney book' so there we are, striking a blow against consumerism!

However I have to say that starting from the children's interests (Disney princesses) really promoted speaking and listening skills, , involvement, motivation and fine motor skills. I s'pose the important thing is balance, I feel we achieved a lot from our mini theme.

Posy

Posy, your enhancements are precisely the sort of activities we would love to see our children involved in. I am slightly sensitive about this subject as my six year old was given 'Club Penguin' colouring-in for Rainy Day Play last week. Grrrr!

Honey

please can I show my ignorance and ask what Club penguin is?

Disney online club for kids to chat to each other on - Actually must say have never seen it (on high horse principle) but just a bit tired of nodding and smiling while being told all about who's got the Blue/Pink/Purple Puffle and how many dollars so-and-so has compared to somebody else. And it costs £20 to join and regular top-ups!!! (Not only high horse but cheap too, Me!!)

Honey

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)