Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Would You Pay The Same?

Interested to know, would you pay these two people the same hourly rate?? (It's a committee run playgroup with 26 children and 6 members of staff)

Employee 1 - Just gained Level 4 and committed to 5/6, 8 years experience in setting (6 as an employee), extra responsibilities for coordinating key person work and learning stories across whole setting, proven track record as capable and responsible practitioner, age 43 and parent of 3

Employee 2 - Level 3, age 17, just starting out after doing level 3 at sixth form

??

I'd love to know what you think.

Karen

Well, that depends on how many payscales you have!!

In a perfect world Employee 1 would be paid more as a more experienced and longer standing member of staff with provedn capabilities.

When I worked as an LSA there were 4 bands to each payscale 1 - not passed probation 2 - entry level 3 - next level 4 - very competent

No - they would be different...

We would have paid the same basic wage as they will probably both be employed at level 3..

but where we could afford it there were small enhancements for years of service, and added responsibilities..

age and home circumstances should not have any bearing on the wage/income.. except of course there could legally be a wage level for under under 18 and another under 21... as minimum wage for those age groups is less...

As others have said, in an ideal world staff member one would be paid more due to level of qualification, responsibility and time served. However it isn't an ideal world and in my setting currently they would be paid the same unless one of them was the manager or deputy. On the other hand, we don't pay our under-21-year-old member of staff at the age related pay level as she works just as hard as everyone else and we feel it would be unfair.

Hi

I would say no, but i also work in a committee run pre school where there are 4 pay scales, manager (me), deputy (only just intorduced different rate as ne wone just employed), key worker and casual. All of ours are based on county council pay scale as we are in the grounds of a school and were initially managed by the head and others governors until we were able to get a parent committee.

I think the level 4 should be paid more, even if she were a level 3 she has more experience and extra responsibilities!

Maybe you can help me out by answering my post on learning journmeys too!!

Nimatel

Thanks for your replies. I have to confess that I am Person 1! My hourly rate was set a while back to reflect experience, achievements and responsibilities. It's not much but at least it reflected these facts and I was happy with it. Now Person 2 has joined us and has been put on the same as me from day 1. Yes she is level 3 but I feel that's only part of the story so I wanted some objective opinions about whether level 3 is all that matters which is what our Chair thinks. I don't really expect any more for level 4 but it would be nice if experience was recognised even if it was only 5p and hour! :o

Thanks for your help.

Hi Karen,

If your hourly rate was set to reflect the differences in your role from other staff, and you have this in writing, i would write your grievance in a letter, accompanied by a copy of the original appointment letter to you and ask for an explanation and a review of the situation. There should have been an annual review on your wages and when others went up, including minimum wage, yours should have gone up too since these are additional responsibilities that were agreed to be paid.

I feel, as a manager, that any member of staff without experience would require considerable on the job training, childcare cannot be solely taught in a classroom, you have to observe and engage with children to fully understand how they learn and how to fully take on the responsibilities of a practitioner and therefore would initially be paid at the minimum wage for their age for an induction period with reviews, and opportunities to increase based on responsibility etc.. The minimum wage is also there to enable providers to train staff, or else we would all be constantly hiring experienced staff and no new staff would receive the experience of working with children if they had to be paid the same.

In an ideal world we would all be paid more... but in an ideal world everyone would do an equally good job :o

Good luck

Ali :)