Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

School Transition/missed Pre-school

A quick answer needed please!

The local school is running it's transition sessions during a normal pre-school session over a period of 5 weeks.

I will be losing most of my children from that session and a member of staff who is going up with them to help with transition.

Do I still charge children for the sessions they will be missing like you would if they were on holiday as I am still having to cover staff costs?

What do you do?

Thanks,

Gwen

Thanks for the quick response. That's my view but the Head of the school doesn't agree!

I have a meeting with the Head at lunchtime to discuss this!

Why does it depend on the HT?

He/She have presumably asked for your staff member to accompany the children and as such these children are using or have access to a resource.

If you have volunteered this staff member, then maybe that is different?

We always have our transition meetings in the afternoon as our feeder preschools are morning only, staff do not always attend but often do.

Presumably if the children were in a school nursery the HT would not be sending the funding back for the pay for his nursery staff whilst they were visitng Reception. Overheads such as staff pay still have to be met.

our rising 5 children go over to the school for the last half term, 2 sessions per week -we do not open playgroup on these days. we send over 2 members of staff -and the sessions are either paid for or their nursery funding entitlment is used. we have to pay for the staff members, we have to organise letters etc fpr the parents, we have to incorporate the teachers lesson plans into ours, we have to complete learning journeys. we use our own policies and proceedures adapted for the rising 5's sessions. we also are available for the parents before and after these sessions to answer questions, queries, concerns etc -all of this still needs to be paid for.

You still have all the overheads as if they were there, and the staff member still needs paying.. so you do need to charge

as to HT , have to ask why they are involved in the preschool decisions... it is up to you not them how you deal with this...

as stated will the school return any money for their children if they had same offer for older ones to move to senior school.

.(then again are they hoping to make a charge or claim for the days- just a thought from nowhere)

Our Reception teacher and teaching assistant visit our setting to read a story from Easter to Whitsun, after Whitsun we take our children over to reception for an hour, accompanied by either 1 or 2 members of staff dependant upon who we have left. We still charge for the session.

Had the meeting and cleared that one up. Boils down (again) to lack of understanding by HT of how pre-school operates and she is also the Chair of our pre-school trust! It took a while for her to realise that the children weren't paying to go to school, they were paying for their place at pre-school.

He/She have presumably asked for your staff member to accompany the children and as such these children are using or have access to a resource.

If you have volunteered this staff member, then maybe that is different?

This was really frustrating. School had wanted the staff member on a 'voluntary' basis, a loose arrangement. But this staff member would normally be working on that day at pre-school so I will still be paying her. They want links to pre-school but then they don't want links! I never quite know where I stand! It's a very small school where HT thinks one thing and often Deputy, who is the infant teacher, thinks another - so I get conflicting messages. AHH! My staff member will be there for part of the first session as a familiar face and that's that.

And don't get me started about lack of communication. No forward planning. Basically not respecting us, and not respecting the fact that we are professionals and running a business at the end of the day. We certainly don't have what Debs and Fimbo describe - I wish. Those sorts of links would be wonderful.

We're lucky in that we have close contact with our local school - visiting each week.

New child visits are on the one day we don't open, so staff aren't available and actually aren't expected to be there (after all they won't be there when the children start school.)

The Early Years teacher visits every term and of course they see her every week and we also get the Headmaster to visit when he can. He popped in this week!

Rachel