Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Toilet Trained ?

don't know where the link, someone will be along soon with it I am sure, however I do know that you cannot insist a child is toilet trained; think inclusion!

well i had a very interesting conversation with a committee member from another setting who told me that as they had no facilities to change a child, and the toilets were not directly accessed from the room -they would therefore only accept children who were toilet trained !

well i had a very interesting conversation with a committee member from another setting who told me that as they had no facilities to change a child, and the toilets were not directly accessed from the room -they would therefore only accept children who were toilet trained !

We have a neighbouring setting like that! They apparently don't have anywhere to change the nappies - so no floors in their building I guess! The LA know about it and always tell us they are "working with them to overcome their difficulties" but what that means I don't know. It's been ongoing for years.

http://www.hertsdirect.org/docs/pdf/c/continence09.pdf

This may have some useful information for you - I cannot find the Leicestershire guidance which is where most people's comes from. We used it to write our policy,

We spent several years changing children on a mat on the toilet floor before getting a very nice child sized adjustable height changing table - we are hoping we won't loose it when the child we were given it for moves on.

Being inclusive is important but not well financed. We have a lot of children who come in needing changing and it can take alot of adult time, which is not provided for so other children loose out.

Slightly different angle on this subject. . . .

I am fed up of parents thinking that they can bring their child of 3 or 3yrs and 3 months and in some cases 3 years 9months and expect us to do the toilet training!!!!

In a 3 hour session when there are 25 other children!!!!!!!!

I am all for inclusion but it seems time and time again the onus shifts from things being the parents responsibility to leaving them for the nursery staff to do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry.

Little moan over :o

Just wanted to say we got a wall mounted changing unit from Ikea, it is really sturdy and just folds back up against the wall so takes up very little space. When my husband fitted it he hung off of it (all 18 stone of him!!) so very secure and I think it cost £50!!

Kris

we dont discriminate either but know of a neighbouring preschool nursery that do!! I think its a case of we know we not mean tdo it but some choose to ignore cos its never followed up however they did get outstanding so I presume the topic never came up!! :o

Andrea

You are right Scarlett angel. Also when they say they are potty trained yet have an accident every 30 mins - then when you question them parents say they take them avery 20 minutes! It was getting so ridiculous with one child, who was just 2, so very young to be potty trained, who was being taken every 20 minutes and STILL having accidents inbetween. We asked her if she would put him in pullups so we could still take him regularly but hopefully avoid the piles of wet clothes . Mum insisted that at his old nursery which he had just moved from he was potty trained there, but I really can't see it. He couldn't vocalise his need for the toilet and seemed oblivious when he was wet.

it comes under the disability discrimination act and we did comply..

but one parent claimed to Ofsted we did not and you would not believe the amount of work and paperwork involved , visits we had to prove that we did everything as we should.

so dont know if it is still the same but a complaint to Ofsted sparked it all for us...

and all we had was a plastic changing mat on floor of toilet to change on... no room to put in a changing table

just to confirm i agree with all ur comments, my jaw did hit the table when she told me this. we have no space for a change table -so use a mat on the floor if needed.

i also asked her what would happen in the case of a child with a medical reason for not being potty trained - my child had a bladder problem and she wasnt dry until way past the age of 6 !

You are right Scarlett angel. Also when they say they are potty trained yet have an accident every 30 mins - then when you question them parents say they take them avery 20 minutes! It was getting so ridiculous with one child, who was just 2, so very young to be potty trained, who was being taken every 20 minutes and STILL having accidents inbetween. We asked her if she would put him in pullups so we could still take him regularly but hopefully avoid the piles of wet clothes . Mum insisted that at his old nursery which he had just moved from he was potty trained there, but I really can't see it. He couldn't vocalise his need for the toilet and seemed oblivious when he was wet.

I am officially "toilet person" on a Tues morning. Our toilet is a walk down the corridor. I have 12 children who are toilet training, 6 nappies to change and another 22 children to toilet. Good job staff take it in turns to do this job on a daily basis and that we are not included in ratio as I spend all morning going to the toilet. Parents request that as they are toilet training that we take their children every 30 mins. Not unreasonable except if you have 12 of them just physically impossible. Some are really not ready and yet parents insist we do this. After 3 accidents we put a pull up on but one mum complained that in no way should we do this and that if we ran out of clothes to call her and she would bring more..how about helping to mop up as well?? Must admit that this is the worst day and I can honestly say that there are 2 of us doing it.

Just imagine the scene...rushing to get a toilet trainer at the 30 min mark when..ooooopppss too late....have to change clothes etc etc...that makes me late for the next one...ooppsss too late...have to change clothes etc etc...oooppps and on it goes!!! In fact this week took little boy every 30 mins and inbetween the 30 mins he wet and pooed his pants twice! Mum just laughed!!

Good job I love my job (except Tues!!)