Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Selling Nursery Stuff

HappyMaz

So my thoughts are turning to how I'm going to sell off all my stuff, but I'm having a problem trying to think of a 'formula' to decide how much to sell stuff for. I want it to be sold, but don't want it to go for peanuts, if you get my drift.

I'm thinking of having an open day/sale during half term so I really need to get my thinking caps on.

Anyone got any suggestions?

Guest Spiral

One of our local settings had an open day - they arranged it well in advance (two months) and kept on putting out flyers etc. I'm not sure about what percentage - someone else sold a load of chairs on ebay - they seemed to make a good profit (we were interested, but the chairs were in Scotland and I was out of cash back then)!

Can't imagine what you are going through x

I just need someone to come in and do a life laundry on the resources and tell me what to sell them for!

Susan, some things we'll need to keep til the end of term because we use them every day, but with the best will in the world we can't possibly use everything we have in our cupboard over the seven weeks left til we close!

I've sold a few bits already, some of which we'll use til the end of term and then they'll pass to their new owners!

How about creating an asset list to circulate and ask for sealed bids. Lots/items go to the highest bidder by email probably the easiest.

How about creating an asset list to circulate and ask for sealed bids. Lots/items go to the highest bidder by email probably the easiest.

You see at heart I am a very lazy person. I fear that although I might start making an asset list, the nursery will be long closed before I'd finish it! :o

Guest Spiral

I'd take a photo of each thing, scrawl a note beside each item and make that my asset list...don't know if that's plausable? :-)

I'd take a photo of each thing, scrawl a note beside each item and make that my asset list...don't know if that's plausable? :-)

Have started to do just that, Spiral. It seemed like a good idea at the time!

I remember a little while ago someone posted a lot of nursery stuff on the forum for sale, with photos. I don't know how well she did though. Never know who may be starting up, looking for replacement/different resources.

For example, I'm in the process of opening a nursery if I can negotiate an affordable lease, and although I already have many resources, I am intending to purchase some wooden chairs as we only have some very old plastic/metal leg ones.

Maybe a range of options, depending on the items, as I feel that sometimes you let things go too cheaply at garage sale type things, but trying e-bay/forum/online/adverts in local newsagents, first might get you a better price ?

It was me :oxD:( .

I asked first before i advertised on here and then posted a link to the photos (cant remember how i did it, but remember it taking ages!!) I also used another site, which was used by parents and childminders. Dont think its fair to advertise on here though so if you want to PM me for details Happy Maz thats fine.

I dont remember thinking too much about percentages etc, just looked at the item and thought whats the lowest price i could let it go for. I also looked and thought how much i would want to pay for it, as most places are on a tight budget.

Think i got most of the prices right as the stuff just flew out!! Still have a couple of things left, just not got round to sorting them out. I also did an open day and sold things that i didnt purchase through education sites at car boots, things that i had bought form car boots, charity shops etc.

I really feel for you Happy Maz, i know how you're feeling. The one thing that gave me some comfort was the fact that the things i had worked so hard to buy were still going to be enjoyed by children.

I really hope everything goes well and you find your new path for your future. I didnt think i would be back on this site, i used it a lot when i had the pre-school, but hey new start, new membership, and new job hopefully :(

I cant really do anything, Happy Maz, but i'm here if you need to talk.

I just need someone to come in and do a life laundry on the resources and tell me what to sell them for!

Susan, some things we'll need to keep til the end of term because we use them every day, but with the best will in the world we can't possibly use everything we have in our cupboard over the seven weeks left til we close!

I've sold a few bits already, some of which we'll use til the end of term and then they'll pass to their new owners!

Sorry to hear you are closing :-( Ive obviously missed something important Im sorry I really must visit the chat room again! :o

Andrea