Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Songs During Stay And Play

Hi

Was just wondering if anyone had any good songs that they sing with under 3's. I have lots of songs that I used to sing with my Reception class, but I think many of them are too difficult for under 3's. We are having a short singing session at the end of our stay and plays, and I want to build up a bank of songs to sing with the parents and children. At the moment we do - wind the bobbin up, nursery rhymes, some simple counting rhymes eg 1,2,3,4,5, but my brain has now given up and I can't think for the life of me the songs I used to sing with the children when I used to work in a Nursery.

Any ideas gratefully received, or if there is already a list, if someone could point me in the right direction

Thanks sunbeam

Just thinking of a few as I read your post...

Open, shut them

Row row row your boat

Round and round the garden (using second verse of round and round the haystack like a little mouse, one step two step, right inside your mouth)

Dingle dangle scarecrow

Horsey horsey don't you stop

I can play at peekaboo

Ring O Roses

Hope this helps, will keep thinking of more!

Thanks singandstory. We used to sing a song at the Nursery and I couldn't think what it was, but just seeing you list, I think it might have been Dingle, dangle scarecrow, and that just made some lyrics pop into my head !!!!

Guest lou73

Incy wincy spider

Twinkle, twinkle little star,

Twinkle, twinkle chocolate bar,

Ring o ring o roses

Here we go round the mulberry bush

I would also suggest goggling songs for young children.

Lou X

• 1 year later...

We sing at the end of all of our groups and have developed a song bag with props that respresent each rhyme for example a spider for Insey Wincey. We encourage the children to take a prop from the bag and through repetition even the youngest of children respond. Local charity shops and car boot sales are great for finding bits for the bag and my mum knitted a Humpty Dumpty!!!

We sing at the end of all of our groups and have developed a song bag with props that respresent each rhyme for example a spider for Insey Wincey. We encourage the children to take a prop from the bag and through repetition even the youngest of children respond. Local charity shops and car boot sales are great for finding bits for the bag and my mum knitted a Humpty Dumpty!!!

Yes we do this too Liverpool1983. and it keeps the children actively involved and interested...as they eagerly wait for 'their turn'! :) They have ownership of the activity and it stops us 'singing at them'! and you dont have..shouting out ideas!! love it! We also use the visual aid picture prompts to create a turn taking song session within our small communication groups....very popular!

Teddy bear teddy bear turn around

Happy and you know it

Wheels on the bus

Wiggly worm

The wise man built his house upon the rocks

Peter hammers

Head shoulders knees and toes

Have you looked at the Puffin songbook

Twinkle twinkle chocolate bar

Round and round the garden book for rhymes and action songs.:)

I have a set of boxes which fit inside each other, I put a picture clue in side each one and then we play pass the parcel and sing the song when each box is opened. I bought a cheap nursery rhyme book and cut the images out, laminated them and hey presto! an endless variety of pictures to use

• 1 month later...

Great idea max321 that adds variety to choosing at song time and great introduction to turn taking for little ones thanks :)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)