Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Conjunctivitus

Hi

Just wondered if you would allow child into the setting with it?

Thanks

(Will tell you why later!!?)

We always say that if it has been seen by a doctor and is not weeping overtly they can come in. The reason we don't insist on treatment is that in our area at least GPs are often reluctant to prescribe antibiotics for it as it is sometimes viral not bacterial. If it flares up during session we ask for them to be collected and seen before coming back, and we also accept a visit to the local chemist as "seen". Have to say most of our parents are pretty good about keeping them at home though until it starts to clear up.

Hi Marley there are five types of conjunctivitus so depending on which one has been diagnosed i am not sure the answer to this one.

If you google conjunctivitus and other conditions it lists them.

If its the viral one, with yucky discharge we exclude children until they are treated and eyes are clear, as this is very contagious.

Some children get an allergy version, no discharge but sore/pink watery looking eyes, generally clears in a few days with treatment.

Normally recommend a visit to a doctor/pharmacist.

Hope this helps.

If its the viral one, with yucky discharge we exclude children until they are treated and eyes are clear, as this is very contagious.

And this is why I love this forum because we were told by a local GP this was what we couldn't exclude for!! A rethink needed for us here I feel.

the HPA document called something like infectious disease exclusions for schools and nursery settings now states that there is indeed no exclusion anymore for conjunctivitus, so this may be where the GP os getting their info from. We just follow the HPA advice.

Hi everyone

We do the same, we do exclude if it is the infectious type and definitely if there is yellow discharge. You can buy quite effective stuff over the counter for conjunctivitis - Brolene for children and Brochlor for adults...I think that's right!

Beehive

Agree eyfs1966, just checked myself after my posting and does indeed say none, but to contact your HPA if there is a cluster. i would certainly ring for further guidance on this, looks like another policy to update sigh.

And sorry i meant bacterial not viral. :o

The reason for my query?...just received a letter to say that we are not allowed to exclude children with conjunctivitus even if they have not seen a dr or received treatment!

Not sure who the letter is from...this was mentioned just as i was leaving work so will find out more tommorrow.

we contacted the hpa re the guidance as we felt children should not be in with the contagious conjunctivitis and was told if we chose to put an exclusion policy in place we could as parents receive a copy on registration and when registering agree to abide by our terms and procedures..

also - when i myself had conjunctivitus i felt miserable -irritated, itchy,sore, weeping eyes. why on earth would a parent want to send a child in even if they had only a very mild case, im sure they would be feeling 'out of sorts'.

but then, when did common sense ever have any influence on the rules and reg !! :o

Hi all

It was a letter from NHS for our area and has been sent to all settings, schools etc. They say on the letter they are following advice from the hpa.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)