Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Sun Cream - When To Apply

Hi

Not sure this is in the right area or not. We were debating whether or not we should put cream on the children today. I decided if it was hot enough to warrant a discussion we should put it on.

How do you decided when to apply sun cream Is it based on temperature? Given that in April we had days when it was 28 degrees we are not waiting for summer !! :o

Is it written somewhere that I don't know about?

Tricky - but then the sun can damage the skin at any time of the year. Perhaps commonsense says as soon as the children and adults begin to wear lighter clothing then sun cream should be applied - that's the way I judged it with my family.

Not to do with temperature so much as strength of sun - today was very sunny but cool becuase of the stiff breeeze

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/pws/invent/weathermap/

Hi

This is an excellent question. It was sunny on Tuesday afternoon in our area but the wind was quite chilly, when should we apply sunscreen?

I looked on the met office site above, this forecasts UV levels, would this be a more scientific way of assessing the situation rather than sticking your finger in the air and going hmmmmm so to speak :o . Just a thought!

it is the uv levels which would be the ones to look at... you can get high levels even with a cloudy day.. and the wind may make it feel chilly out but the uv levels still the same on the skin...

like that map Deb Thank you, very useful.. has pollen levels too which we would find useful.

Hi

How do you as staff find time to apply cream. We have 40 children and found it was taking 2 staff out of the equation and over 30 mins to do. Instead we have now said that parents need to apply suncream before children come in and that if they are with us all day to use the once suncream.

At one point last year we were applying cream to thsoe children that were with us in the morning and because school wont do it we were trying to cream them staright after lunch before we took them to the school nursery...all very stressful. The school never applies cream.

I sympathise Marley

We too ask parents to slap it on the children as they would never get outside otherwise - we also ask for a sun hat too. We were lucky to have some in-date sun cream donated by our local lifeguards so if parents have forgotten we have some for them to use - although off on a tangent completely one parent refused to put any on her little angel (blond and fair skinned) given the ricketts scare on the news lately :o

I sympathise Marley

We too ask parents to slap it on the children as they would never get outside otherwise - we also ask for a sun hat too. We were lucky to have some in-date sun cream donated by our local lifeguards so if parents have forgotten we have some for them to use - although off on a tangent completely one parent refused to put any on her little angel (blond and fair skinned) given the ricketts scare on the news lately :o

hate the way the news gives all this info to scare us but if we followed it all we would be in total conflict all the time..

Think any parent refusing the suncream would need a balance from the other side of not applying which is the sunburn and possible skin cancer which causes more issues than the lack of vitamins form lack of exposure to the sun... particularly when vitamins are added to so many foods that the daily need its usually met in other ways... only need 20 mins exposure 3 or 4 days a week to get the amount needed anyway.. sister was advised this when she had a bad break in a leg and it was to aid healing... because of where she lives this alone was long enough to get sunburn and cause other issues..

we too asked parents to apply before arrival.. and were always very aware of allergies form these creams even when you have used it before ...they can cause severe reactions... and as a setting we had a supply of sun hats and all wore one out.. including staff.. set by example! I loved my battered old sun hat as did the children who decorated it with flowers for me to make it look pretty...

Thank you for your replies and links Debs.

The parents provide the cream and the oldest of our children 3- 4's will be rubbing it in themselves to lighten the load. At the moment we only have about 20 children as we only opened in January and are slowly taking children in. We may have to revise our policy when full. My niece lives in Australia and the school does not apply sun cream and she only has it on in the morning!

We ask for hats and very soon it will be no hat no outdoor play. (We will of course have spares as there will always be one!)

I need to dig my hat out as well, which may be older than the combined age of the children!

UV watch starts now!