Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Changing From Pre-school To Day Nursery

I have been hunting for premises to move into with the idea of starting up as a day nursery for birth to school age rather than a term time pack away pre-school that we are now. I am getting very excited now that I am getting closer to finding somewhere but before I speak to the owner of the building I want to have a bit more idea of what running a day nuresry entails!

Has anyone ever made this change before? I've had some experience working in a baby room when I did my EYPS but actually owning and running a day nursery with linger hours than I'm used to must be very different!

Has anyone got any advice?

thanks x

I just want to say goodluck. You have the drive and the passion and that is generally what you need to take you forward.

I have experience of working in both. I am currently a pre-school leader but prior to that I worked in a day nursery for 40 hours a week. I hated it but reflecting back I think it was due to management not the set up of the setting etc. I can tell you not how to run it lol!!!

I personally wouldn't return to day nursery unless it was my own however I am sure you'll do a fab job. Keep us updated.

Thanks SazzJ. I must admit I'm excited but quite daunted by the idea. As a teacher I'm going to have to adjust to working more hours but hopefully I'll be able to share holidays out as I have other very well qualified staff lined up to join us if it goes ahead. Plus my children are 2 and 5 and still need me!

I think I'm going to visit some day nurseries as I've made some good contacts through network meetings. I'll try and get some more ideas on managing staff rotas etc.

Are you the owner of the pre-school? I took over my previously committee run pre school a year ago and have gradually extended the hours. We are still term time only but take children from 2 and open 8.30 til 4pm. Running the business myself is far better than under the old committee! I wouldn't want to take babies and don't have suitable premises anyway but would like ( when my youngest is at secondary school) to open all year round. Have you spoken to your LEA advisors? Regarding demand for places and sustainability? I imagine you'd be making a huge financial commitment re premises and staff costs so you'll want to know there's enough demand.

Very exciting - good luck!

Hi Anju

we open 8-30 to 3-30 at the moment. It's my mum's pre-school so family run :)

Another day nursery is definitely needed in our town. They are all full, but I want to run mine a bit differently, especially the baby room. I've got lots of ideas running around my head!

I was thinking of contacting my LEA getting their opinion etc. It was our OFSTED inspector in Feb that really made us think about moving to day nursery, she was very enthusiastic!

Laura firstly good luck ...if you can make it work in this financial climate then you can make it work anytime!

I have never managed to work out a suitable financial model for the babies sectgion as ratios are so high you need to charge at quite a high rate unless you are supporting this from other areas of your business. Have you got your local sufficiency survey from the LEA? this will tell you what places are 'missing' from the area and may give you more of an idea of how to go ahead. You will need to survey your parents and the local area to find out what people want...this information can be used to support grant applications later on. work out your numbers using the space allocations from ofsted and then you can work out staff costs (about 70%) is a rough guide.... i guess what im saying is do your homework carefully or it could be a costly excercise both emotinally and financially :o

• 3 weeks later...
Are you the owner of the pre-school? I took over my previously committee run pre school a year ago and have gradually extended the hours. We are still term time only but take children from 2 and open 8.30 til 4pm. Running the business myself is far better than under the old committee! I wouldn't want to take babies and don't have suitable premises anyway but would like ( when my youngest is at secondary school) to open all year round. Have you spoken to your LEA advisors? Regarding demand for places and sustainability? I imagine you'd be making a huge financial commitment re premises and staff costs so you'll want to know there's enough demand.

Very exciting - good luck!

Hi sorry just read your note on taking over a committee run preschool can you please give some pointers on how to do this. I manage a committee run preschool which is a registered charity and a member of the early learning alliance. I would love to run it myself but dont seem to get any ansers from ela.

please can you help.

regards. sarah