Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Holiday Pay Entitlment

Try this site SazzJ, it helps a lot. Holiday pay calculator

I read somewhere that a decision made by the European court in 2005 meant holiday pay couldnt be 'rolled up' and paid each month. I put this to our staff and they were all of the opinion that they were happy with it being paid like that rather than a lump at the start of easter, summer hols, christmas etc.

We put it in ther contracts theyd been informed and had choosen to keep things as they were.

part-time worker, you are still entitled to 5.6 weeks' holiday – 5.6 of your normal working week. For example, if you work two days a week you would be entitled to 11.2 days' annual leave a year:

2 days x 5.6 weeks = 11.2 days and as you only work a set number of weeks a year this can be for those weeks only.

Rolled up pay is when you only get paid for the 38 weeks work and the holiday pay is included in that total paid... if you work 38 weeks but get paid for weeks you are not actually in work this is fine... which is why we were paid for 12 months a year.. by having the years pay plus holiday pay divided by 12... staff wanted to know what was coming each month...

but that said I knew of groups who were not paying holiday pay and did not realise they had to... no one had told the committee and they just carried on as before paying for hours worked... took someone who knew to challenge and ask, and give them the info for them to change it..

I pay hourly rate X hours worked per week X 43.6 weeks per year, all divided into 12 equal instalments. The 43.6 is 38 weeks term time plus 5.6 weeks holiday - I don't pro rata it but you are allowed to as far as I know.

I pay 39 weeks pay divided into 11 months then pay holiday pay in the month of August as a lump sum -

I am going to be boood now. we never work bank holidays and we have to pay these days too as well as accured time even though we clearly say it is term time only.

:o

I have never understood about paying staff for bank holidays. Most are in the school holidays when we are closed, but whenever they are, we are never open and staff do not have to work.

Is pay for bank holidays included in the 5.6 weeks per year holiday entitlement? In theory could you deduct 5 (?) days from this then for bank holidays if they don't have to work?

Too late for me because it's already in contracts and even new staff can't be on less favourable terms and conditions I don't think, but might be useful to know for others.

part-time worker, you are still entitled to 5.6 weeks' holiday – 5.6 of your normal working week. For example, if you work two days a week you would be entitled to 11.2 days' annual leave a year:

2 days x 5.6 weeks = 11.2 days and as you only work a set number of weeks a year this can be for those weeks only.

Rolled up pay is when you only get paid for the 38 weeks work and the holiday pay is included in that total paid... if you work 38 weeks but get paid for weeks you are not actually in work this is fine... which is why we were paid for 12 months a year.. by having the years pay plus holiday pay divided by 12... staff wanted to know what was coming each month...

but that said I knew of groups who were not paying holiday pay and did not realise they had to... no one had told the committee and they just carried on as before paying for hours worked... took someone who knew to challenge and ask, and give them the info for them to change it..

This is the way we currently recieve our wage - set amount each month only I don't know my hourly rate so don't know if we get holiday pay included or not, i just know my monthly pay :S

You need to ask someone to work it out for you. Ask what your hourly rate is and work from there. Your employer must know this to make sure they are paying at least minimum wage to everyone.

This is the way we currently recieve our wage - set amount each month only I don't know my hourly rate so don't know if we get holiday pay included or not, i just know my monthly pay :S

i would ask committee how my pay was worked out... and what was my hourly rate... they should be able to tell you this...perhaps a note to the treasurer asking about it and perhaps a reason like you need to know as you have a form to fill in asking about it.. they do not need to know why or what you have a form for or even if you do... but may help in them coming forward with an answer and not make it seem lik eyou are being difficult... some forms do ask for this info such as loans or benefit claims... could be for child tax credit purposes... (we still get this form every year even though our son is now 26! It just says nil due!!)

we were given a summary each year to show how it was calculated so we knew it included holiday pay...

I've been looking into this because of closures next term.

The bank holidays can be included within the 5.6 weeks statutory pay. So in theory you don't have to pay staff extra for bank holidays. However, we still get paid funding for bank holidays, so I am of a mind to pay the extra Royal Wedding day this year. We will however lose quite a bit in fees on these closure days.

We are term time only but pay staff over 12 months, the calculation is beyond me but luckily we have a treasurer/payroll person who obviously does understand.

we pay 38weeks wages over 11 months then 5.6wks holiday pay in august, which is always slightly more than a months pay.

5.6 weeks in total is only payable if staff work 52 weeks. If they only work 38 weeks you prorata - otherwise you are overpaying the holiday pay.

5.6 weeks in total is only payable if staff work 52 weeks. If they only work 38 weeks you prorata - otherwise you are overpaying the holiday pay.

but the holiday pay is set as MINIMUM requirement, so paying the full amount is often seen as appreciation to the staff who often work more hours than paid for anyway...it is up to the setting to say how much they will pay over the minimum.. there is never too much, just too little paid for the settings who do not pay minimum.

we paid full amount as it was easier to work out than all the messing around working out prorata.. and yes there are easy calculations out there but felt while we could afford it we would pay..