Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Winnie The Witch

No but I do love these books, and have met Korky Paul who did the illustrations. He was fabulous - from South Africa and the most amazing artist. Apparently there is a 'mistake' in the drawings in every book - get your children to keep an eye out for them. For instance, in one book the bathroom in Winnie's house is on one floor at the start, and moves up to the top floor later on.

I once saw a fab kind of 'witches cave' in a reception class, all covered in black netting and with spiders all over it. That would work well in a home corner although strictly speaking Winnie doesn't live in a cave.

Maybe you could start with Suzie's idea and get the children to make colourful things to add so they don't stand on the cat!

what about a huge cauldron with a selection of different items (labelled) that the children could add to their brew. They could then write a list of the ingredients that are in their recipe and draw the effects of their potions. I don't know whether it is just my authority but we're not supposed to do anything to do with witches/halloween at school so unfortunately that means no winnie the witch for us! (silly I know!)

Guest TinklePrincess
we're not supposed to do anything to do with witches/halloween at school so unfortunately that means no winnie the witch for us! (silly I know!)

That's strange, do you work in a catholic or church school?

I'm Christian and very passioate about my beliefs so I feel quite uncomfortable doing Winnie the Witch and Halloween activities but I have never been in a school/setting where they weren't allowed. I simply don't partake/find things to be doing. Fortunately, I've never been in a situation where I've had to refuse (and I'm not sure what I'd do in such a situation) so I'm just curious :o

Yes I do work in a C of E school but I have worked in different schools in my county (gloucestershire) and witch stories and halloween are similarly avoided. That has always been the case as long as I have been teaching (15 years) but to be honest I can't remember what initiated this avoidance whether it is a gloucestershire thing or an individual headteacher's views thing. Will try to find out!

Deb

Guest TinklePrincess
Yes I do work in a C of E school but I have worked in different schools in my county (gloucestershire) and witch stories and halloween are similarly avoided. That has always been the case as long as I have been teaching (15 years) but to be honest I can't remember what initiated this avoidance whether it is a gloucestershire thing or an individual headteacher's views thing. Will try to find out!

Deb

Yes, please do - My family calls it nosey but I like to think of it as natural curiosity!!!

• 1 month later...
Guest hfitz12

I did Winnie the Witch in the autumn term. If you msg me I could send you some photos of our home corner and my plans if they would help. Not saying they are perfect as I'm new to EYFS this year, but the children got a lot out of them!

Edited by hfitz12

I'm Christian too and feel uncomfortable with the whole witch thing, BUT... I have to say that I've found Winnie in Winter to be a great introduction to Winter and talking about features of different seasons and weather as well as a great PSRN opportunity. We've made a spell book for Winnie where the cauldron needs to have a certain number of feet in and then a selection of creatures so that the children need to combine numbers to get the total - a slug and a fox for example.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Hoglet

I love the Winnie the witch stories. For once I can contribute an idea! I used the Winnie the witch stories as a focus for my role play area. We made the home corner into a cave using black material and black bin bags attached to large cardboard boxes. you just need to experiment with this as we did and it worked very well. Here are a list of resources we added to enhance the play:

witches hats

broom sticks

cardboard boxes to sit in

snakes and mini beasts beetles etc..

black cats soft toys

a large spider I mean huge bought from Sainsburys at the time of halloween and spiders webs inside

small torches which children were able to wear on their heads like head bands (the camping type bought from Argos they come in two's) children used these to read in the cave.

a table coverd with black bin liners. on the table we made up spells which I typed up and printed and laminated for example ' 6 witches hats and and 2 smelly bats' this not only coverd literacy but also numeracy.

paper and pencils feltip pens

lots of Winnie the witch books in the cave with the cauldron and the snakes and mini beasts

One more idea i bought small packets of plastic bats and spiders rings some were purple, black and orange. I put these in the water tray with small tea strainers and they had to fish them out an count how many orange purple or black they had caught. They also made up thier own games. I put a sand timer in their and they used this as a time limit.

I must say it was one of the most popular role play areas

I hope you find this useful.

Kathleen

One more idea i bought small packets of plastic bats and spiders rings some were purple, black and orange. I put these in the water tray with small tea strainers and they had to fish them out an count how many orange purple or black they had caught. They also made up thier own games. I put a sand timer in their and they used this as a time limit.

I must say it was one of the most popular role play areas

I hope you find this useful.

Kathleen

Love that idea! :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)