Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Torn

Hi

A committee member has said that she thinks we should only have 2 staff on at school club (ages 3 - 11yrs) during the easter holidays until we go over 16 kids due to staff costs. In theory she is right. Manager thinks we should have 3 staff in at all times in case there is emergency and staff has to go to hospital with child.

I can see both points ...anyone help me out with this one?

Im committee and not staff in this situation and they are both looking at me for advice. I do have an idea but want to see if you agree??!!

Thanks (yet again)

Personally I would say go for three members of staff if you can afford it. Of course cost is a big factor here, but I know from experience that I feel much happier and more relaxed when there are three of us in my setting (maximum 11 children) because I know that all eventualities can be covered.

Can you afford it though? And how many children do you have in the EYFS?

Three. We have had just 2 staff at playgroup in the past but it was only for part of the session while money was tight and numbers were really low. Staff also knew they could phone one of the other staff at need. Not ideal but sometimes needs must.

Do you have a phone on the premisis? Can you keep all the children in sight should something occur that needs a staff member to leave the room? Do a risk assessment and see.

My heart agrees with you but the cost is too much. Some days we only have 6 children in and we need 10 to cover our costs :o The treasurer syas if we are to have 3 staff on then we will have to increasefees dramatically.

Even with 3 staff the children all have to do activities tog to ensure that no staff is left alone.

EYFS children will be 2-3 at the most.

HATE being in this position as know how difficult it is

This'll make you laugh marley. I was just going to suggest that you get a committee member to volunteer to be at each session! :o

For my setting that 'committee volunteer' is me so I can completely understand that cost is a major factor in deciding staffing. On days like today (I've been at uni on a course) I feel so guilty that I've left two staff members 'on their own' not because I don't think they can cope, but just because I know how hard it is to only have two people there, especially in the event of a toileting accident or other kind of mishap! xD

Just remembered. While I was on supply I worked at an after school club for about a week. There was just two of us with 6-7 children. We were next to the nursery where staff were available I presume. One evening we had a teacher from the next door school help with digging but usually we were on our own. I dont ever recall seeing a phone and i know on at least one occassion I was left alone for about 10 mins, which was fine but I have no idea what to do with older children, they are off my radar, so I felt a bit lost.

I didnt go back after that. ASC is not for me.

On days like today (I've been at uni on a course) I feel so guilty that I've left two staff members 'on their own'

And so you should!! :o

It is nice to have the 'safety net' of a third person but with so few children, and with careful planning, 2 staff members is workable.

At this point I wonder if it is pertinent to ask if any members who are teachers run an after school club? I was surprised to learn that in one local school teaching staff are often on their own with their after school charges - except for the cleaners who are usually in the building at that time. I wonder if this is the norm?

At this point I wonder if it is pertinent to ask if any members who are teachers run an after school club? I was surprised to learn that in one local school teaching staff are often on their own with their after school charges - except for the cleaners who are usually in the building at that time. I wonder if this is the norm?

Yes that is the norm....in fact my 6yr old son does football training with a young man from Notts Forrest and he must have over 10 boys!!! One rule for one etc etc....

I have worked at pre-school and club and it is very different in terms of the needs of the children ie not likely to be called away for toileting issue. Its more a behaviour thing with older ones.

Edited by marley

3 ideal.. but do know financially it is often not possible..

so we used to have 2 staff and one on call who agreed to be available for the session if needed.... must say we never did have to call...

As soon as we could afford the 3 staff we had them..

Guest jenpercy

Wherever possible (financially) we have 2 staff plus someone to do what we call core ie 3 - 4 hours in the middle of the day to cover staff breaks and perhaps a short outing to the park as we have no outside area. We help to finance this byshaving off an hour at each end of the day when we have over 16 for one member of staff or more as many childern come in at 9 or leave before 5, or both.

This is not ideal as this and staff rotas mean that we can never get everyone together for a meeting but we cope.

we need 10 children just to pay the rent!!

If you can break even with 10, why not go to 3 when you get over that number?

Do you have a reserve fund that you can draw on until numbers pick up?

Personally at preschool I push for 3 staff even in first term when numbers are low, then try to make up the deficit in this term and next. It seems to be working this year!

Hi

Thanks.

Numbers are always low for school holidays. Our staff either bwork a morning session or an afternoon session so we do not normally need cover for lunches but if we did then a further staff would be called into cover for 2 hours.

Does seem ridiculous to have 3 staff in when there are only 4 children when the managers argument still stands. I may have to go with the committee on this but put in place a policy as someone elses post is asking advice for!