Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Compassionate Leave And Pay

Rea

One of our staff is off after losing her mom two weeks ago. She was going to come back today but felt she cant. Thats fine, we can cover, but I dont know how long we should pay her for, this is the 3rd week. It sounds mercenary but I need to let her know if she'll be paid from now onwards.

Just found most recent contract...Compassionate leave is based on individual needs and pay is at the discretion of the committee.

Edited by Rea

One of our staff is off after losing her mom two weeks ago. She was going to come back today but felt she cant. Thats fine, we can cover, but I dont know how long we should pay her for, this is the 3rd week. It sounds mercenary but I need to let her know if she'll be paid from now onwards.

Just found most recent contract...Compassionate leave is based on individual needs and pay is at the discretion of the committee.

We have a list of posible reasons for compassionate leave and the length of time on full or half pay. This is a bit arbitory as everyone is affected by grief etc in different ways, but is the only way we could think of to make it fair. At least everyone knows where they stand.

What did the committee say when they first authorised the absence?

By allowing compassionate leave, you are not necessarily offering to pay the employee while they are off.

I think 2 weeks paid compassionate leave is quite generous, and I would be considering unpaid leave at this stage.

I don't know your staffing levels, but I assume you are both paying the employee and paying for cover?

Rea I'm sorry for your staff member's loss, but you can't go on indefinitely. I'm afraid I probably would have drawn a line at a week. Good luck with a difficult decision. I'm sure your staff member will understand your situation.

Do think is is all up to individual setting and what you can afford, but be aware you are setting a precedent for any that follow, so need to consider what you may do in future.. no good giving 3 weeks paid one time and only 2 next .

Everyone has different needs but would consider 2 weeks paid generous, I returned to work once we had all sorted out and arranged, but had to take time off 6 months later to do the house and other things (probate can take ages) ... depending on circumstances she may need time off later as well.

For me it was same as with children keeping life consistent helped...

When I lost my Mum there was one week compassionate leave plus one other week at the discretion of the Head teacher.

Because my Mum had been rushed into hospital I had actually used up 2 days leave before she died and so had very little time off that was covered by compassionate leave.

I was in a very bad way and could not have returned to work there and then.

I believe I went to my Doctor and he signed me off with stress or anxiety or similar. I think I had 4 weeks off school in total because there was a half term break in there too.

I can understand your worry re pay/ staffing but 2 weeks is such a horribly short amount of time to be given when the loss is so huge...............

Well I think we've decided (I say we, but as chair I've kind of come to the decision on my own, just need it confirmed or not with other committee).

Two weeks pay and then unpaid unless she can get a docs note.

It doesnt help that she's a really good friend before she's a staff member.

We dont have to pay for cover, we have a couple of voluneers at the moment and myself and another committee member with CRBs.

And I agree two weeks is far too short a time to get over losing your mom.

Thanks everyone, you've helped to clear my head.

My husband works for the LA, he has just been given 5 days paid compassionate leave after his mother's death - which can be taken over a period of time (as Inge says, sometimes you need other days) He can have more time off, but this would be unpaid.

Our committee have been very generous...a member of staff lost her husband nine weeks ago and she has been on full pay since, and been offered it for as long as she needs.....I think its great but wonder if its realistic...but hey I am only the manager...not my call really

Well, as its not costing us anything in cover I dont see why we couldnt keep paying her but its about setting a precedent.

Another member of staff had to have 3 weeks off with her baby and she wont be paid. I know its different but the baby was born with a few problems and mom has to be there.

I might suggest half pay for a couple of weeks.

Oh to win the lottery and not have to worry about staff wages!

Edited by Rea

I think your right about setting the precedent.....we recently had a member of staff off for 6 months with stress - she was paid her full wage for 4 months :o also a staff member with an ex partner who died...she had two months off - full pay......so they left themselves with no choice but to pay for a more serious case....I feel exasperated with it ....its all been wonderful of them...but they forget I have been left to manage a depleted team and find cover and deal with the traumas of the last three years it effects a whole team when someone is on long term leave, disrupts and when they return they have had to be made exceptions for and paperwork is still not being done.......I am sorry to rant...but I appreciate that I am a lucky person with no tragedies in life to deal with but life itself is hard anyway...I have my own hang ups and family stuff but this job is getting to me once again...same old same old.... xD

Edited by Guest

As an employer I simply couldn't afford to pay the kind of compassionate leave some of your settings are paying, especially since with a team of four, the burden to arrange cover would be quite onerous.

I definitely won't miss this aspect of the job come September.

When I worked as a Teaching Assistant, the Local Authority had a list of how much compassionate leave for what "grade" of person - parent, partner and child being top, then seibling, then any other family member. think friends you could have unpaid to attend the funeral.

It may be useful to get the list form your local authority, and any nearby settings who might let you see theirs, so you can bench mark what you provide.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)