Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Minded Child Has Ipod/camera.

A ten year old in my care has a new IPod with a camera on it. Smart chil, but I wonder about photos of the other children getting passed about. I have asked if she understands about not taking photos of the other children, and she has said she does, but...she is ten??

Has anyone else managed this issue? Did you confiscate? Allow it to be used but trust that it's used responsibly? Allow it in the setting but not to be used?

Any other ideas? I must admit to being a bit anti computer games etc, and I hope this isn't a case of showing my bias.

Thanks, Honey

Maybe you could compile a Safer Use IT policy with a set of rules for use of camera, computer and ipod. This could then be explaint to the parent and child (with both signing). Explain it is in everyones best interest. There are probably lots of versions online that you could take and adapt. All schools have to have them now.

The problem with a policy is of course that at the age of ten you could break the rules either on purpose or accidently just because you don't really have the awareness of how bad it would be to take the photos and pass them around, and once it's done, it's done, you can't get them back and you might not even know about it anyway.

Have you spoken to the parents about this? Perhaps they haven't thought about the implications of her having the camera and would be willing to say that it must stay at home, or that you can keep hold of it whilst she's in the house? I'm presuming she comes to you after shcool? Most schools don't allow equipment like this to be brought in by children anyway due to the problems with it getting lost or broken so really I doubt she should be taking the thing to school in the first place.

We are in the process of dealing with the issues of ever increasing technologies at our school. We are now having to consider the use of cameras on trips etc by parent helpers and the use of smart phones by staff and parents- as photos can now be so easily uploaded onto the internet - almost always innocently (i.e. facebook etc). I agree with what you say a policy and rules may seem over the top in a child minding setting. But most schools will have a set of safer use rules displayed within computer suits, in class and with laptops. And as with any rules the children are aware of our expectations and yes they may make mistakes but it does help them to become responsible users. Your right you have a responsibility towards others in your care and some parents may be anxious about photos. Maybe you can talk to the child's parents about your concerns(and I am sure they will understand). At 10 years it does seem young but not unusal (I read an article only this weekend where a mum gave her 5 and 8 year old an iphone each!

Sorry if I have gone on but it has been a recent issue within our LA and we are now having to look at policies and rules - but the parents are on our side and want to protect but also provide exciting IT experiences.

Many thanks for your replies. I saw pictures today that she had taken at school yesterday. Really don't think she's got the message so better nip it in the bud. Think I will ask that they be kept in bags unless I see them taken out when I'll reserve the right to confiscate until home time.

Cheers,

Honey

Why not take a 'fun' approach and ask her to make it a 'creche', it can then sleep in there whilst she is with you. I used to do this in school when tamagotchi were a big problem.

• 2 weeks later...

I worry about this too when they bring an DSi with the camera and recording bit on it. I have told them they are not to record anything with them.

We teach Internet safety as part of our ICT curriculum and ECM etc from Reception onwards. The chn in my class are very aware of good practice and about sharing information including photos. Our school allows phones into school BUT they have to give them into the Office in the morning and collect them at the end of the day. Perhaps you could have a policy saying that she can bring it in but it has to stay in a certain place/box whilst she is with you. Don't think it is possible to disable the camera on it though so she can use it for games etc.

One of the sites we use is: http://www.bbc.co.uk/cbbc/help/web/staysafe

The other one I can't remember but they promote safer internet day.

Hope this helps.

Reason for Edit: Just found this link - maybe useful http://knutsfordchildminding.blogspot.com/...s-and-eyfs.html

Edited by Guest

Thanks heaps All. Love the Creche idea and will certainly be backing up school IT Safety. I would love to be trusting the children to manage their own safety, but really don't they can at this age. The child I'm talking about was Captain Sensible until recently and now there're hormones and peer-group stuff happening and all sensibility has gone out the window.

Preparing for the lowest common denominator unfortunately.

Honey

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)