Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Continuous Provision - Dinosaur Topic

Hi there,

It's been a while since I've posted on this site and thought I would ask for some little help/advice. Our topic next term is Dinosaurs and I am just completing my continuous provision planning. Does anyone have any ideas for some actvities/resources that I could use linked to this topic in the following areas:

Creative area

Discovery area

Numeracy area

Writing area

Phonics area

Malleable area

Thank you in advance

:o

One of the things we did when exploring bones was to make a plaster of paris/sand mix, we purchased some miniature dinosaur skeletons, which we hid within the mix, the children then became pretend excavators, archaeologists and discovered the bones with clay tools, the children thought this was fantastic.

Have fun :o

We bought ready made ones from Home Bargins; each clay brick needed to be excavated using small tools and brushes that were included. Inside after much chipping and brushing a dinosaur skeleton could be found. It was a little messy but the children loved it.

harry and the bucketful of dinosaurs.....lots of ideas...my favourite harry and the robot ...led to lots of robot making, could also use it to do the 'robot voice' for letters and sounds blending. make dinosaurs from clay/playdough...i saw a fab activity where you make plaster of paris dinosaur footprints as stepping stones for the garden, you could number them and use for numeracy...lots of ideas on irresistible play based learning including how to make the dinosaur fossils and how to make dinosaur eggs

We made dinosaur models using tin foil, lots of scrunching, some liked making their own fossils, we showed them how to push the bigger dinosaurs into play dough and then into clay so they had foot prints and head prints. they exhibited dinosaurs in a museum they made, some attempted to label the dinosaurs, some were even able to act as curators and tell us what the dinosaurs were called.

Hi there,

It's been a while since I've posted on this site and thought I would ask for some little help/advice. Our topic next term is Dinosaurs and I am just completing my continuous provision planning. Does anyone have any ideas for some actvities/resources that I could use linked to this topic in the following areas:

Creative area

Discovery area

Numeracy area

Writing area

Phonics area

Malleable area

Thank you in advance

:o

In our malleable area we had dinosaur body parts, so heads, tails, feet etc. which the children could push into clay or play dough, as well as the usual cutters, and as I have said the children were shown how they could make their own fossils from pushing any of our dinosaur models into the play dough/clay. We had enlarged laminated line drawings of T.Rex head and a triangle cutter so children could add teeth to the mouth, we used a die too, so the could roll that and had to add that many teeth, or take away that many teeth.

We had dinosaur jigsaws and dominoes, they could also make their own jigsaws of dinosaurs from line drawings which we photocopied. We had stencils of dinosaurs the type to draw round and make rubbings of.

We had in the tuff spot dinoworld, which was really our collection of dinosaurs + gloop, or compost and a couple of spider plants and rocks and pebbles.

We had enlarged heads of T.Rex line drawings and the children could add teeth, we also put tracing paper over the top of these drawings so they could have a go at drawing them, some drew them freestyle.

• 6 months later...

You could laminate dino footprints and make them lead from the discovery area to different locations where there are buried/ hidden dinosaurs (sand tray, water tray, under cushions, in toy boxes etc.) and send the children on a dino hunt. In the discovery area you could provide magnifying glasses and laminated photos of the dinosaurs they are searching for with the name underneath. You could bring in ICT by providing them with a camera or camcorder to record their journey and discoveries! and give them clipboards, paper and pencils so they can have a go at writing the dino names.

In the numeracy area you could do something to do with size, different sized dinosaurs, maybe something about comparing their own height to the height of dinos. Could extend to outside and maybe compare heights of trees, buildings etc to dinos too. I think children can be a bit misled by toy dinos coz they all tend to be about the same size and obviously nowhere near the size of a real one!

In the past I've made jigsaws by laminating pictures of different shaped dinosaurs then laminating corresponding skeletons cut up into a few pieces. I added velcro and put the pics on the wall near the sand tray then buried the skeleton sections in the sand so they had to find all the bits, then figure out which pic they belonged to, then build skeleton over the pic. I hope that makes sense, I'm rather tired! Haha

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)