Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Personal Statements For University

HappyMaz

I'm not sure that I did a personal statement for either the Foundation Degree or the top up year, but now that I'm applying to do a Masters I need to write one to support my application. I've done a bit of a google but I wondered if anyone had any advice about what to include, and the kinds of things I need to cover?

I'm not very good at singing my praises at the best of times, but some advice would be really useful at this point in time! Has anyone done one and would like to share any insights? It is a high profile course (the one led by Cathy Nutbrown at Sheffield) and so I want to make it as good as I possibly can to give myself the best chance!

Thank you in advance!

Maz

No advice, as Ive not done this but good luck!

My son is currently applying and it seems to be ok to contact the tutors direct as thats what he has done---not of course remotely connected to what you are hoping to do course wise!

Ar Maz, I said Id be back.

I haven't looked that closely yet at the application to see what they are asking for in the personal statement, but I would imagine you could write about:

your career history, including mentoring and training you have been doing

previous research, including any written publications (although this may be separate section)

Your research interests, if you have any.

Why you want to do this course, what you hope to get out of it

Any evidence of recent study (Ill struggle with that one!).

Other interest outside of this field.

I'm sure there are other things, and I'm sure part of what they want to see is how well you express yourself, to give them an idea about how well you can write at masters level. And maybe whether or not you can resist the urge to waffle (hmm Id struggle with that one too)

Having said that I am guessing a bit to, its a long time since started my last masters and cant remember what I wrote!

When my son did his last year the advice was to let them know why you were interested in the course, any particular aspects that interested you and also that you were a fairly balanced individual - ie mention what elso you do in your life. The particular interests bit then gives them a starting question to ask you if you get an interview - so be prepared!

Good luck

Caro

I am so jealous Maz I guess you will also get Jools Page along with Cathy at Sheffield both are fantastic. Good luck and enjoy every moment, including all the hard graft (haha)

I have to make the most of doing mine with Canterbury Christ Church with no one any where near as inspirational as you.

If I can find my personal statement (not sure which computer it is on) I will PM it to you

Edited by BMG

Thanks for the help everyone. BMG let's not get carried away here - I'm only at the application stage - I imagine competition will be pretty stiff so I'm not holding out much hope of actually getting accepted! We shall see how things go... :o

• 7 months later...

I didn't do it in the end. Something has been preventing me from pulling my finger out and writing that statement. I shall think about it again for next year.

So have you started, BMG?

I have Maz, will be attending 1st session of 2nd year tonight. The work load is preety heavy though and I am behind with an assignment, the reading and research are all done I just have to turn it into a report now. Really wish I was doing the Sheffield one though. Get your finger out and get it in for the next one then, go for it!!! good luck anyway.

Get your finger out and get it in for the next one then, go for it!!! good luck anyway.

Thanks for the encouragement! Whilst part of me is a bit sad not to be embarking on a new exciting learning journey I do think my hesitation was for a reason - nature's way of telling me I wasn't really ready at this stage. I'm still coming to terms with closing the nursery and who knows how I'll feel a year on? I don't think I've found my niche in the world yet, and am waiting for inspiration to strike (or failing that, some kind person to take me in hand and tell me what to do). So in the meantime, I'm trying to keep calm and carry on and not make too many plans or over commit myself which is what I tend to do.

So have I explained my tardiness effectively? :o

Oh and by the way, love the username!

I thought I would change my name from boring old initials to one which says something about me - Pimms say no more!!!

...as you say when the time is right you will know if you are able to commit for three years. I do feel very overwhelmed often since I started, but its a case of "i've started so I must finish" and have to keep getting the whip out to spur me on.

Hope you do find a niche soon though, good luck.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)