Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

What Does A Commitee Do?

I would like some advice on what a commitee does and the responsibilites of the chair. I realise they are involved in funding, maintainence and the running of the setting.

Do we have to be in communication with the commitee on informaton re the children. Perhaps child protetion issues or behaviouial issues?

Hi the PSLA have a publication which explains the roles and responsibilities of a committee run pre-school.

A very useful tool to advise members considering joining a committee.

I do think committees can vary enormously depending on committee skills, time constraints and support from the whole setting.

Are you considering being a committee run group.? :o

As chair the playleader tells me things about CP or behaviour so I'm aware but I dont have any input apart from informal chats one professional to another. I know the less people who know a CP issue is in progrss the better until such time as it becomes my business as the responsible person along with the rest of the committee.

We chat about behaviour I might see when I'm there and she might tell me strategies they are working on but really the day to day bits and pieces are left to staff to deal with.

As Chair I'm always a bit nervous about getting too closely involved with specific issues around individual children (although I do because I have knowledge in this area). There are all sorts of confidentiality things going on if you do. I'm even wary to look at children's profile books, unless for instance I needed to check that staff were completing them properly. It's not really my job to stick my nose into that kind of stuff, that's why we employ the leader.

In theory our role is to make sure the setting runs smoothly and safely, with specific responsibility for children's learning and welfare really more the job of the setting leader.

However ... having said all that I was forced to have a suitable person interview and so presumably Ofsted expect me to have some input into and knowledge of that side of the setting. This is tricky for me now that my own children no longer attend.

Assuming your chair has a CRB and has agreed to abide by the groups Confidentiality policy I would say she can be part of the discussion. I personally dont get involved through choice, having been the playleader there I dont want to appear to be sticking my nose in but I'm aware that the playleader might want to run thngs past me.

Thanks for your replies. We are a commitee run nursery and an issue has come up and the supervisor and chair discussed it. I felt that she shouldn't have been told but wasn't sure if any legal documentation to advise on this.

Thanks.

Just to add if it is a child protection issue, I would expect to be informed that an issue had occurred, but not the specific details of it, which would be between the leader and the local child protection team.

It can be tricky because often the leader actively wants to discuss things with me, and you do get very involved with what's going on. For instance at the moment I am liaising between her and the parent of a child with special needs, who might eventually attend our setting. But this makes sense because I know both parties and the parent is very happy for me to help.

It's especially tricky if current parents are on committee because potentially they could have access to very confidential matters about people they know closely. I feel much more happy with the distance now that I no longer have children there.

If it is a CP issue involving staff then obviously your chair should have the full facts however if it is an issue that has nothing to do with the setting but has arisen there then your chair should be informed that a cp issue has come to light/been reported but no details have/should be discussed

it is a recommendation that there is a safeguarding rep and a health and safety rep on your committee. If the supervisor needed support on one of these issues those would be the people to talk toas long as this was in your policy. I would make my saefguarding rep aware that i am dealing with an issue but would only discuss details if i felt i needed backup!