Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Giving Parents Our Personal Telephone Numbers

Hi everyone,

Need to have a little moan and ask you all what you would do in this situation!!

We are full time day care nursery. We have a little boy who attends everyday. Last night mum came and collected him at 6pm. I live 45 mins from the nursery. As soon as I got home I got a telephone call from my deputy saying she had received a phonecall from the mum saying that she had forgotten her sons blanket and he won't sleep without it. My deputy who lives 5 mins from the nursery went back and got the blanket for mum (- obviously not by herself!!). I have spoken to all the staff this morning and told them that they must make sure the blanket is put back into his bag after his sleep.

This morning mum comes in and says that she should have my number as well in case this happens again and she cannot get in touch with my deputy. (The only reason she has the deputy number is because she knew her before her son started nursery.) I told her this was not something we do and that instead we will all need to check each night that his blanket is in his bag. To which, she replied, "so its ok for me to have a screaming baby is it????" She said she was not asking for my mobile number but a telephone number that's available between 6pm -7pm for any emergencies like this!!! I personally couldn't imagine anything worse. To close the nursery at 6pm and then be on call for another hour in case a parent has forgotton anything at the nursery!!

Does anyone do anything like this??? We have had nothing but problems with this parent since her son joined and it seems that she feels what ever she asks for we have to oblige, which we do where possible. Because I didn't agree to her request this morning she left in a huff and I know I haven't heard the end of this..

Advice needed please!!!

Absolutely not!

If she had left his blanket in a shop she wouldn't expect them to stay open just to give it back. In the end it is her responsibility to check she has it with her when she leaves.

I live and work in a small village and it does make me quite uncomfortable to think that lots of the parents know where I live in case anyone ever took it on themselves to come and knock on my door with a grievance.

You should not even feel that you need to respond to this request.

Instead, you should send out a note to all parents, along the lines of: 'If your child has an important toy or comforter, and brings it to nursery, please ensure that you take it home with you. Our nursery cannot be responsible for person items brought into the setting.'

It is completely unreasonable of her to ask for such a thing.

Our leader gives out her mobile number but that is completely different as we are a voluntary run, charitable setting, she knows most of the parents personally and they would NEVER expect this kind of thing from her.

Most children who really need their comforter to that degree, usually have more than one, so to rely on just one does mean that they need to take responsibility for it. I can recall my grandaughter having a pink bear and my daughter buying up several from anywhere she could get them so that there were always 'spares' for those occasions they get lost or dirty.

I would never give out a personal number myself, and agree with what others have said, a general note out saying they must be responsible for collecting their children s things is fair enough.

Hmmmmm.....Emergency call out, triple the hourly rate of fees at least !!!!!!!!!

No, obviously not acceptable. It is the parents responsibility to ensure that her child's needs are met out of preschool hours, not yours, bow to this and then next thing she'll be expecting you to read the child's bedtime story for her.

You will need to make clear that once closed no staff return to the setting otherwise your deputy will be placed in the awkward position of being asked to retrieve the blanket again should it be left in the future.

Peggy

My youngest one took one of my nighties as a comforter. I cut it up into loads of pieces which got smaller and smaller as the years went on, just so this wouldnt happen. One in the car, one in the house, his bed, my mom's, his bag, my bag, coat pockets...

I think mom has a cheek to ask really and she should sort out a replacement herself.

definitely no to giving out a personal number or any number for out of hours...

and I would do as others have suggested a letter to all parents reminding them that any item brought in it is parents responsibility to check that they have it before leaving... that the nursery has no responsibility for personal items left in the setting. Once setting is closed any items will be returned next day.. or something like that.

No no no certainly not, i think it is totally unacceptable to assume that it is your responsibility once a child has been collected from you.

Parents need to take this on board and ensure that all items are with them before they leave the premises.

Will they expect the head of a school to open up just because their child has left something at school, words fail me sometimes. :o

Absolutely not. I was once called out at 11PM for exactly the same reason, and as I only lived 5 minutes away, I went and got the muzzie.Never again............so, no, don't even contemplate it, and I'd put something in your policies that staff won't return to the setting after closing time, for ANY reason, including forgotten property. It's her responsibility, not yours to ensure he has his comforter, so don't fall for the ' it's ok for him to scream' routine...

I would just like to back up everything you have all said. When I took over as manager of my setting, it had been the norm for the previous manager's home number to be on the paperwork. She must have been driven potty. Even after she had retired, a disgruntled parent rang her at home demanding to know why her son's dyslexia hadn't been picked up at preschool :oxD

A particularly extreme case of course but you really need to protect yourself and your family. I bought a mobile and from then on it was the contact number- but turned off between 6pm and 7am! Not difficult for this parent to check the bag before she leaves the premises. Stick to your guns!