Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Snails

I hope that someone might have some exciting ideas for using the topic of snails in a Reception class. Any ideas would be appreciated as my brain is a bit blank at the mo. :o

Hi KGK

Thanks for making your first post and welcome to the forum.

I have moved this topic for you to the forum for topics etc. It will probably get better attention there.

Linda

Hi KGK and welcome! :D

Havent "worked " with snails for a long time now! but there used to be a good Ladybird info book or could have been MacDonalds Starters?

You need to collect a few and do some experiments but I cant remember any other details, sorry!

Hi KGK and welcome!

I'm not keen on having snails in the classroom as I've had a bad experience in the past, when some have escaped and eaten through several books! They do seem to eat anything and everything!

However, I have collected them from my own garden and we have observed them in the outside area. If you place them on some black paper, you can see the snail trail left behind as they move. We even had some snail races. Of course, it's important to discuss caring for living creatures and to return them to their natural environment.

We used salt dough to make our own snails, by rolling out a sausage shape and curling into a spiral, then placing the spiral onto a body-shape of dough. We used cloves for antennae. These were baked in an oven and then painted after. They looked really effective. This could be done with clay as well.

We did lots of creative work on spirals, including looking at Matisse's snail painting. The children had great fun tearing up small pieces of paper to make their own representation of Matisse's picture. We made spiral patterns in shaving foam and cornflour mix.

We did lots of work in P.E. and music on slow and fast.

Just a few ideas, but there is a whole chapter in "Themes for Early Years - Minibeasts (Scholastic).

you can mix a paste of flour and water and paint it onto a bit of perspex. Put snails on the paste and you can watch them eat it from underneath. WE also tested what they liked to eat or not eat. And they do escape!!

Insectlore (the butterfly people) do 'giant land snails' which are great if you are into snails. The kids love them and they are fascinating, but they are a bit of a commitment cos they cant be released into the wild. They will live happily in a small plastic aquarium tank.

They also do pond snails which can be put back into a pond if I remember rightly

www.insectlore.com

We always manage to find snails in the garden - I like to put them in an old fish tank with some bark chips in the bottom -spray daily with water - feed them vegetables. I put some small terracotta pots into the tank for them to latch onto. You must give them some cuttlefish or their shells become brittle they also start eating each others shells. I find an old net curtain held on with a piece of elastic keeps them in the tank. Always return them to their natural environment.

Would it be too insensitive to mention the horrible crunching sound they make when I step on them in the dark?

Thought so!

Maz

A creative activity we did last year which the children loved. Make a snail from sticking string in a spiral and make head, feelers etc on a piece of card. When it is dry use rollers and lovely thick printing inks. We then displayed the original printing tile next to the print. The children were engrossed, they looked wonderful and so individual .. a simple technique which allows them to be very creative !

Galleon :D

• 10 years later...

Hi

Funnily enough, I've just signed on to trawl the internet to update my snail planning.

There's a lovely book called Archie's snail, that a boy finds and takes inside...it escapes and travels around the room, in and out, over and under.

We've also used Matisse "The Snail" as a starting point. It's interesting to see who thinks they can see the snail or otherwise.

Talking about spirals....you could set up a technology experiment to make a spiral, using sand or a felt tip pen, swinging pendulum style

Paper plate snails are great too.

I've got a heap more stuff.....if only I could find my file!

Berry.M

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)