Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Secondary School

sunnyday

So this is the conversation between me and my 12 year old grandson when I picked him up from the school bus today.......

GS: I haven't got any homework tonight nana because it was our PHSE day

Me: oh right, cool, and what did you do for PSHE?

GS: Sexual relations

Me: (thinking oh heck, wish I hadn't asked) Oh right, guess that was quite interesting then....

GS: Quite rude really nana - in the first lesson they used the 'c word'

Me: Oh that's not nice is it

GS: Ah no not that c word

Me: Oh right, well I don't think that I need to know which c word is was.... xD

GS: No, you really don't

Anyway this conversation went on and on and round and round - despite my best efforts to change the subject! :o

Turns out that they have had a whole day of this 'stuff'........is that 'normal'? Just seems a bit much to cram their minds with this all day :( Surely a couple of lessons here and there would be better.......

Edited by sunnyday

Thanks Panders! xD

I'm sure that you're right......wish now, that I had asked 'who' was teaching them - I wonder if the school bring someone 'in' to 'do' this .....guess that could be why it all had to be done in one day.......well I certainly won't be asking him now - I really don't want to 're-visit' the subject! :(:o

Spoil sport! I want to know wht the c word is if its not that c word xD

Its good he can tell you anything though, as far as I'm aware niether of mine (18 and 21) have ever had sex ed classes, because they wouldnt have told me if they had.

Mrs Bruce used to come to my sceondary school and tell us the most outlandish things she'd seen in clinic. Even now I'm not sure she was telling the truth.

What a wonderful age :o

Have a daughter aged 12 in year 7 , she too is having sex ed and has the attitude of "Whatever " to everything!!!! it does seem the norm . and im finding it hard to adjust to the difference of the education syustem in senior school! but apparently according to my firnds who have senioe age children its the norm!!!

long time since we had that in our house and can vividly remember his having some sex education as young as 7 at one school.. had forms to fill in but the thought was the earlier the better .. then when we moved a new area he had it all again at 11 and again at 12 in senior school.. by which time he had had his fill and really was closed off to it all ..

But I too am now intrigued as to what the c word was..

But I too am now intrigued as to what the c word was..

Me too really! xD I know that he would have told me.....I was just desperately trying to change the subject - wonder if he has told mum or dad......haven't spoken to them tonight........if I ever find out I'll let you know....hmmm....might have to be a pm - could be 'unprintable'! :o

Thanks Rea and Emma too! :(

Many years ago as a temp lunchtime superviser I had a child come running over to me 'miss, miss, he swore' 'Did he?' says I. 'Yes, he said the 'G' 'L' word'. Well I wracked my brains but couldnt think of the G or L words. I asked her very quietly to tell me what they were 'Get Lost'. :o

I think you might find he was referring to a word for the male genital parts?

It's great that he felt he could share with you :o

Well that's interesting because I was going to say female genital parts (starts cli)........that was used when my daughter did sex ed in year 6 of primary school and many parents were most unhappy but the bits are the bits and I took the view at least my daughter would know the correct terms for them even if she didn't understand all the implications of that knowledge...if that makes sense

When I knew my kids were doing sex ed I sat with both of them a week or so before and used a Dorling Kindersley book for teenagers to explain things so they would be prepared. My son couldn't finish fast enough and said he had seen and heard quite enough thanks and my daughter asked loads and loads of questions which I carefully answered in a way I felt appropriate for her age

Tricky and emotive subject sex ed and none of us want our babies to grow up and sex ed does seem to mark a line in the sand from child to adolescent xD

:o I think the "c" word might be contraception!!

My daughter's school recently sent a letter home explaining their PSHE teaching - their plans included contraception and "early sexual activity" in year 8 and "relationships, sex, alcohol and decision making" in year 11.

I'm glad we'd discussed it at home first as our emphasis was on relationships first.......!!

Nona