Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

D&t And Science In Nursery

Hi all

I have been thinking about our provision of these two areas of learning and realise that we lack ideas and more probably the know how and inspiration to provide children with opportunities to explore science and d&t activities.

We do the usual craft based stuff for D&T (hole punches, split pins, staplers etc) but would love to explore more problem solving 'exciting' stuff!

I have looked at Teacher Tom's blog which is fab (particularly the drawbots which we are about to try). I wondered how other settings approach these two areas and what type of activities you do to encourage a strong exploratory attitude coupled with problem solving.

It's a woman's world in our setting and I am not a natural with a motor and battery- but long to be! I am not being sexist (don't want to start a Grey/Keys debate here) but it can be challenging to find ways to engage and encourage this type of learning.

Any ideas would be most welcome

Just been reading this on my facebook link. Hope it works. It's about a Workshop for Engaging Boys from Irresitable Ideas for Playbased Learning. Has pics of the DrawBots that look a bit technical for me, lut the pulleys interested me the most. Asked for some on Freecycle last night and a friend who is a boaty offered me some to play with. Really looking forward to it.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=196...121305887884646

Enjoy

Honey

Mine enjoy the painting programmes on the laptops, we have beebots and remote control cars and children draw a line on some rolled out wallpaper to see if they can make them follow it

Just been reading this on my facebook link. Hope it works. It's about a Workshop for Engaging Boys from Irresitable Ideas for Playbased Learning. Has pics of the DrawBots that look a bit technical for me, lut the pulleys interested me the most. Asked for some on Freecycle last night and a friend who is a boaty offered me some to play with. Really looking forward to it.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=196...121305887884646

Enjoy

Honey

Brilliant link Honey thank you so much for sharing! Love the idea also of asking on Freecycle i will definatelytry that and share with others!

Lorna

Thanks for the link- the actual web site for Play based learning has lots of terrific activities and ideas too. I love the sand pendulum- Teacher Tom does one with paint which is just as much fun. It would be great to collect a bank of science/D&T lab ideas to fall back on and you have certainly given me a few to start that process.

cheers :o

someone bought us a coconut to try at pre-school it was great fun trying to work out how to open it! we had lots of ideas form the children some more successful than others! (we are making a teacher tom inspired volcano at the moment after an explosion in the sand pit the other day! :o )

Thanks for the link- the actual web site for Play based learning has lots of terrific activities and ideas too.

I have put both sites on my favourites - how interesting that one is USA and another Australia!

Lorna

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)