Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Bank Staff

Hi everyone,

I am new to this and this is my very first post so sorry if it is in the wrong area.

Just wondered if anyone could help me out with a little query. I have just taken over the management of a committee run Pre-School. This is my first role as manager and I want to get the staff on training courses so need to look at bank staff to cover shifts. We currently run at 4 staff all qualified to Level 3 and one working towards EYPS. Am I ok to advertise for unqualified bank staff or should I be looking for a minimum of a level 2?

Sure I will have lots more questions over the next few weeks so thanks for your help.

I would suggest that you go for at least a level 2 - if only for the fact that it's easier to get references related to childcare experience, if you have a person who has already completd a childcare qualification of some sort, which is important for your Safer Recuitment procedures..Also if these people are covering for your experienced and qualified staff it's useful if they have at least a some background knowledge. :o

Hi TC2000 and welcome, we have a minimum of three level threes at each session plus at least another 3 staff to thirty children.

I would generally like a minimum of a level 2, but a willingness to train and a wondeful rapport with the children would most certainly make someone a great contender. :o

You may find that from amongst your Parents and Grandparents that you have some willing helpers. Yes, I agree that it's nice to find qualified staff, but in the past I have recruited from amongst parents and they have gone on to do training and become totally committed to our Preschool.

personally i'd go with caits idea...i couldn't possibly afford to pay staff to go on training, pay for the training and pay for bank staff too (usually at a premium well above the pay of my regular staff xD ) if you are all qualified than you have no problem using someone unqualified...though if you were going to use more than 3 times in a month you need to crb them....but all you committee will be crb'd can they not help you cover the sesssions needed?...i often find parents make great helpers they are enthusiastic willing to learn and often have hidden talents...a journey of discovery for everyone and an opportunity for great parent partnership :o

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the replies, I have found them really helpful. I am in the same position as you finleysmaid, struggle to pay for the bank staff and usually one of the parents or the Chair of the committee will step in, but wanted a few names on file in case of emergencies.

Nice to know there are people out there who can offer support.

Thanks again.

I'd go with Caits idea too. I go into playgroup to help cover and we have a cople of committee members who often help out too, its so expensive to do it any other way. Do you work to such tight ratos that one of you cant be abscnet for a day withput causing problems? If you're paying your satff to go on training, would they consider weekend training? Look at the training too, some of ours will pay staff cover, not many to honest but its worth asking. "the squeeking gate gets the oil" as my dad says.

I make so many spelling mistakes when I'm on the laptop!

Edited by Rea