Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Adive Needed Please!

I posted yesterday about advice re regards to my deputy putting her other job first.

Now the dilema we have is that I am currently undertaken my EYPS and so have to attend Uni over the next few months as I am at the validation stage. Now we are aware that for the setting open me or the deputy has to be present.

Someone has put forward that in the case of the deputy being off and me being at Uni can my assistant step up as acting deputy for the day? If so can anyone please point me in the right direction for guiedance. I'm assuming she'll need to be listed as being acting deputy etc.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated please

Hi we were looking thro the EYFS the other day and we were on the staffing section. All we could find was that there has to be at least one L3 , but couldn't find where it actually stipulates that the manager or deputy has to be present, so would also be grateful if someone could clarify. Manager has always assumed that experienced L3 can cover session (in practice only necessary in emergency or where illness at short notice etc)

Its such a nightmare to equate it all, we like to have staffing above the National Standards due to the size of the premises, but also continue to remain financially viable.[ a never ending juggling act].

We always have a minimum of three level threes in at anyone session with 30 children, plus at least three other staff.

On one session we have two level threes and 3 other staff with 24 children.

All our staff are First Aid trained. We take children between 2 and 5 years old.

I know we are lucky to have a pool of staff that work differing sessions, so if we have training for our [supervisor, or Deputies we are generally able to accomodate this.

I would certainly clarify this with Ofsted or your Development Worker or Early Years Advisors

Wishing you well with your studies l:1b

I'm L3 and have covered a couple of times when manager and deputy have been on training courses. As Chair I'm the responsible person anyway so maybe thats why its ok, although to be honest I've never checked. All the other staff are L3 too.

Guest jenpercy

0I think OFSTED are OK if all staff in are Level3. It would also help to have a contingency plan. for example, would you expect them to cope, or would you want to be notified if there was a child protection indcident etc

I'm a pre-school assistant and have been acting leader for Manager as she returns to work after a long term illness. I will also be in this role until Easter as one of the official deputies is off work and will have an operation.

I hold a L3 qualification but I don't know who has to be officially informed of this change nor where this is stated in the EYFS (if at all).

Guest jenpercy

do you mean that you have been in charge and they have not been there? If so I might be prudent to inform OFSTED. I take it that your required ratio of qualified staff is still in place with these ladies absence?

If not, you must definately iform OFSTED and ask leave to continue, which they may grant you - but it is best to let them know.

I'm in Newcastle

You see our policy states that myself (leader) or deputy has to be present but can't seem to find an exact reason why and to be honest would save so much stress etc if someone else could step up, would only be absolute emergency ie I'm at uni and deputy is ill