Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Help!

NickyR

Has anyone got any tips for getting children's paint out of white clothing?

The story goes a little bit like that.....

Parent came in this morning to tell me that last Thursday when her child went home he had paint on the sleeve's of his white top. She brought it in this morning to show me, she didn't wash it because she wanted me to see it!!!!

I've told her to leave it with me and I will see if I can remove the stains for her, but I don't know what's best to use. Is there something good I can buy from a supermarket? I don't want to go out and buy a product that's rubbish and I need to get it cleaned before she picks up at the end of today!!

Edited by NickyR

Hairspray - spray it on and rub it in with the fabric.

Try Vanish, but a generous scoop - try the ones for whites.

Bleach it out?

Is it child paint? Hopefully will have water in it so that helps.

Not your fault - child wearing a white top? mother not trying to wash it out asap?

Good luck!

ppp

I will not be held responsible for any damage caused to the said garment

Hi Nicky,

Firstly you have my sympathy dealing with this old problem.This rears it's head now and again in our setting despite all our efforts in explaining to parents that although we encourage children to wear aprons sometimes it just creeps under!We suggest they wear old clothes and say at initial visits that it is highly likely children will get messy whilst exploring their environment with us!!!

Solution for paint.

Generally go back to suppplier for specific instrutions first.

Soaking in cold water before attempting to wash helps.Personally best product i have used is the pink vanish spray!Works most times for me!

Hope that helps.

Good luck.

Biker

Thanks guys!

I did reinforce the fact that we do tell parents in our literature and on settling in sessions not to put their child in anything that they do not want to get messy. I also tried to talk about the learning that her child must have got out of the activity, he was obviously so engrossed and having a great time!!

But unfortunately she was not having any of it, which is why I suggested that she leave it with me. Although, with the paint having been on the clothing for a week now I feel it's slightly impossible to get it out.

I did suggest that we pay for the clothing from our fundraising pot, thinking that she wouldn't possibly go as far as that. However, she said OK!! Hmmmmm!

You have to laugh sometimes, don't you?

It's an age old problem isn't it? :o It is something parents have to get used to, and if only they would heed our advice to put children in old clothing. I always had a paragraph about this in our guidelines for parents, including how to remove paint, so at least I could refer them to that if they came in to complain. xD

Try rinsing the worst off with cold water, and then soak in very very slightly warm water with a generous mixture of Vanish powder and washing-up liquid. Leave for some time, occasionally rubbing in the Vanish. Never use hot water as that 'set's the colour in. I think that green or black paint is the worst really, and on white paint will be difficult to remove. :(

whatever you decide this time.. ensure you reinforce to the parent that this is a once only offer and she needs to ensure any clothes her child wears in future are suitable for the sort of play on offer... dont want her to keep coming back expecting this every time...

we too added washing up liquid to the paint.. helped but some still hard to get out.. red and purple spring to mind!

we had a parental agreement with all sorts of things included, this being one of them, we take no responsibility for paint etc on clothes and that while we take all the precautions we can and provide protective wear it is the parents responsibility to send the child in appropriate clothing -

what we do and what we asked them to do.. was all through the document... and they read and signed it before starting..so we could refer to it if this arose.

In our case came about because I once worked in a setting where a mum complained about the playdough in a jumper, so all children ended up having to wear full coveralls for playdough..

Just to say not all are like this... I once had a mum who sent her child in white coats and clothes all the time... mum loved to ensure child was always well dressed .... and this child was what can only be described as a dirt magnet... no matter what we did she always went home filthy... covered in paint dirt, mud you think of it she used it.. loved the mucky messy play all the time.. Forgot how often the while coat went home covered in mud from outside.. and Mums reaction was... if she came home clean then I would worry... I loved that mum!

Hi

I know if you mix bicarbonate of soda with distilled vinegar you get a good paste mixture that will get most stains out of clothes.

Parents huh!!??

HTH!

I think you're very kind even thinking of offering to help!

I have no idea what gets paint out though, if it was stained it was playgroup clothing from then on. I had to refuse a photo of my youngest son one year because he was dressed in the clothes oldest son had his photo in a couple of years before.

Thanks for your advice and support everyone, much appreciate.

I've soaked and washed it and although it has faded, there is still some tinges of green. Can't say I haven't tried and I reckon if she tried getting it out last week it would be dazzling white now!!

Has anyone got any tips for getting children's paint out of white clothing?

The story goes a little bit like that.....

Parent came in this morning to tell me that last Thursday when her child went home he had paint on the sleeve's of his white top. She brought it in this morning to show me, she didn't wash it because she wanted me to see it!!!!

I've told her to leave it with me and I will see if I can remove the stains for her, but I don't know what's best to use. Is there something good I can buy from a supermarket? I don't want to go out and buy a product that's rubbish and I need to get it cleaned before she picks up at the end of today!!

Nicky I've just got some chocolate down my front, would it be alright if i popped my jumper in the post and you washed it for me and returned it xD

My god - who do parents expect :o White and pre-school have never ever gone together. :(

Oh gosh - difficult one! If you do manage to launder the top, it might be worth stressing to mum that this was strictly a one off good will gesture and that parents are expected to send children in something 'non-precious'. Would it be worth suggesting that she leave an old sweatshirt/ top on little ones peg to change in to when they come into the setting. I know some parents can really struggle with the idea of their child not being dressed to the nine's even if they are only coming to pre-school. I'm 42 and I can't even wear white clothes for more than 5 mins without finding some gravy or grass to smear accross it, so I'd be loathe to put anything white on a 2 or 3 year old, particularly if it cost more than 1.99! Maybe it's just me :oxD

:o unbelievable!!! What does this parent expect?!?!

As a toddler (and on occasions now xD )my daughter was a muck magnet and I was advised to use old fashioned Fairy soap - the green bar - rub a good coating on before washing as normal. It got many a paint or ice lolly stain out of her clothing!

This thread has made me smile, though.... in Year 1 an NQT sent a whole class to wash their hands AT THE SAME TIME, UNSUPERVISED........... my daughter had a fabulous, bright green paint handprint in her long blond hair :( I popped in to ask what paint it was to find out if it was washable. I don't think the teacher was listening very closely as she advised me "just to pop it in a hot wash in the machine and it should come out!!!!" :(

Nona

This thread has made me smile, though.... in Year 1 an NQT sent a whole class to wash their hands AT THE SAME TIME, UNSUPERVISED........... my daughter had a fabulous, bright green paint handprint in her long blond hair :o I popped in to ask what paint it was to find out if it was washable. I don't think the teacher was listening very closely as she advised me "just to pop it in a hot wash in the machine and it should come out!!!!" :(

Nona

xD Good one!

x T

PS I love your signature quote, can I borrow it for my next assignment?