Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Planning Software

Hello. When I was doing a medium term overview for this half term, surrounded by sheets of stepping stones that I was ticking off as i put them into my big spider diagram...i thought there must be an easier way. Is there planning software which enables you to highlight or click and drag a stepping stone into a document for medium term planning? I would like to just click on S.Stones and for the document to be compilied at the end. I told my hubby that I wanted to be able to do this, I also told him that it would be useful if the document displayed any stepping stones not yet been covered in the previous terms, so that they could be added. He said it was simple enough to write (he is a programmer) but he told me to ask if anyone knew of any existing software that did this, because it would be a waste of his time otherwise.

If anyone knows of anything similar, or any useful planning software for the FS, could they let me know please. If not, is there anything that you would like to see in a programme that would make our lives easier? Who knows, perhaps he could save us an hour or so here and there! :D

Sounds a fantastic idea, I haven't heard of anything like that out there. You definately would make a lot of pre schools VVVVVery happy.

net x :D

Hi

Granada do a program called Early Years complete, about £90 on it's own or can be bought as a package for primary schools. They have a website and apparently this software does all you talk about in your post and a lot more, I have not used it but it could be useful if you can persuade school to buy it.

I am not aware of any other such programs but there may be some cheaper ones out there so worth doing the research

I have a document which I typed myself listing all green stepping stones, ELG's and corresponding NC programmes of study (I have a mixed R1 class) I use this to do my MT planning by cutting and pasting the objectives we will cover into my own word document proforma for planning. The ones left over at the end are the ones which have not been covered - make sure you save as a new document otherwise the original is lost, have done this a couple of times!

I know this is not as snazzy as a proper planning software but it works well for me and I have been impressed byu the time it cuts off my planning.

I have attached a copy for anyone who wishes to see it.

nb. I wrote this myself so may be many typos and the links between FS and NC are as I think, you may disagree!

Curriculum_coverage_chart_nc_AND_elg_and_green_stepping_stones.doc

Curriculum_coverage_chart_nc_AND_elg_and_green_stepping_stones.doc

Many thanks for that, Littlerabbitfoofoo; it's interesting to see the links right across from the green stepping stone to the NC. We nursery practitioners don't get to see beyond the ELGs and it's good for us to see where the children are going. :)

There is also some software reviewed on the site by Steve that I think may do this,

I found "Curriculum complete" quite difficult to use but have not seen the newer "Early years complete".

I think there is also a program called "Assessease".

However, I only ever planned towards Goals in my Reception classroom!

Hi Tracy -

As Susan mentioned I reviewed a product a few months ago and you can find the review here. I think you can download a demo version from the site which means you should be able to decide if it meets your needs.

Let us know what you think of it - I'd be interested in your views! :)

Hi, had a quick look at the review, but isn't it assessment software rather than planning software? I was looking for something to reduce planning time more than anything else at the moment.

Ahh that is what I have been doing. Copy and pasting etc and making a tick off sheet of what still needs to be covered. I just wanted hubby to write a programme where i can see all the SS like that, just single click to highlight the ones I want and then press a "compile" button which puts them instantly into a document under the 6 areas. Am I lazy? :D

For medium term planning there is a format that lots of people use on here - especially for reception,

The headings across go:

All early learning goals with specific ones to that topic highlighted

Learning Intentions

Spontaneous learning opportunities and ongoing

Planned activities

Resources,

events, outings and visitors

There is an overview (long term) at the beginning

And a 'Pacer' (week by week allocation) at the end

Is this a package or an LEA recommendation? - I think it's v.good but not sure where it originates from

I use Early Years Complete by the Skills Factory - I like it a lot - its very simple to use and saves me loads of time. It is a glorified database with all the stepping stones and ELGS printed out you call them into your topic planning and you can create sheets of what resources you need, extensions, groupings anything you like so it is fairly flexible. It also creates a bar chart on how much you have covered ieach area of learning - quite useful for monitoring each area but I do know that another friend of mine did not like it. There are different ways you can print your planning by areas of learning, page by page etc and I think it looks really professional. It certainly makes you really aware of all the stepping stones. From the package I printed out all the stepping stones from the areas of learning which I leave out so when the girls are observing, if they are not sure what area it comes under they can just look at each area and it is also great when I have parents in to as they can look at each area quickly to get an understanding.

Nikki

• 2 weeks later...

I have also used early years curriculum complete software mentioned by serveral people. I found it quite cumbersome. We tried to set up a format which covered the 6 areas of learning. The end product was multiple sheets of paper, whereas we try to get our main weekly plan onto 1 A4 sheet with very small type face. Then we were unable to get the text to line up as we wanted across the columns. The end result was really unusable, though we had to use it as it was a whole school directive. After a term of gobbledegook we were allowed to revert to typing our plans in word. My main worry was that if for some unforseen circumstance both my colleague and I (parallel classes in semi open plan area) were away the poor supply teachers would have really had a battle on their hands to understand what we were planning to teach! Rant, rant, rant!

I'm really impressed that people like Nicola have managed to make it work well, perhaps I should re-visit it. Where it worked did you do a separate plan for each area of the curriculum. Also have you managed to use it to generate reception reports?

Angela

• 2 weeks later...
I haven't mananged to come up with the necessary credits or finance either so I cut and paste from my 'record of acheivement' document. It has SS, ELG and FSP statements (in colour)on it, so I hoppe it's not too confusing. It's a work in progress so there are mistakes but it may a base to work from.

Fay

29726[/snapback]

I haven't mananged to come up with the necessary credits or finance either so I cut and paste from my 'record of acheivement' document. It has SS, ELG and FSP statements (in colour)on it, so I hoppe it's not too confusing. It's a work in progress so there are mistakes but it may a base to work from.

Fay

29726[/snapback]

I couldn't open it either!!!!!! :o

• 2 weeks later...
I couldn't open it either!!!!!! :o

32337[/snapback]

Know this topic was last discussed a while agao but I can't open it either- can anyone help?

Aklso, while I loive the idea of cuttinga nd pasting learning objectives from the Foundation Stage profile I am always told my objectives need to be more specific to the activity. I have a lot of difficulty with this. I know what I want the children to do (eg look at the different colours of flowers) but I have trouble formulating thsi intoa precise learning objective. It would seem to fit ' look at similairities, differences...' in the KUW section, but this isn't directly related to the activity enough I am told. Then there are the learning outcomes/ suuccess critiera to write in as well??

Sorry this is all very confused writing but that's how I feel when I come to plan! Can anyone help??

Know this topic was last discussed a while agao but I can't open it either- can anyone help?

Aklso, while I loive the idea of cuttinga nd pasting learning objectives from the Foundation Stage profile I am always told my objectives need to be more specific to the activity.  I have a lot of difficulty with this.  I know what I want the children to do (eg look at the different colours of flowers) but I have trouble formulating thsi intoa  precise learning objective.  It would seem to fit ' look at similairities, differences...' in the KUW section, but this isn't directly related to the activity enough I am told.  Then there are the learning outcomes/ suuccess critiera to write in as well??

Sorry this is all very confused writing but that's how I feel when I come to plan!  Can anyone help??

33077[/snapback]

Karenb124,

If you just extend the L.O. to...look at similairities, differences between tulip, daffodil and rose. Would this make it "specific" to the activity.

Or is that too obvious/easy :o ( I mean for the people who require this, not a dig at your abilities)

Karenb124,

If you just extend the L.O. to...look at similairities, differences between tulip, daffodil and rose.  Would this make it "specific" to the activity.

Or is that too obvious/easy  :o  ( I mean for the people who require this, not a dig at your abilities)

33132[/snapback]

Thanks for the reply but I think it needs more detail than that. What similairities and differences they will be looking for, what they are expected to be able to do by thee nd of the lesson. Sorry to be vague but that's how I feel! Was wondering what other people do?

Hi Steve,

I went to see the program you mention, but the demo is mainly for those who use the NC and not the FS. Anyway, thanks for the link.

Oh... I found that one can download the demo... probably what you mentioned in the review. What I do not understand is the difference between attained and mastered. Attained is to have achieved the goal. There is no place to say that the pupil has not achieved the goal. Right?Sorry if I am confused :o .

Hi Smiley -

I didn't realise the downloadable demo version didn't include the FS part of the Classroom monitor - sorry about that. I believe that if you contact the vendors by phone they will send you a cd which should include the FS version. :o

With regard to the categories of attainment, I'm afraid I'm away from my desk this week, so I can't check on what they were. I believe there were four categories though? Untaught, Taught, Attained, Mastered? I'll try to get back to you next week when I'll have my original notes to hand.

• 6 months later...
I have the stepping stones and goals typed out - you can open the file and another one along side and cut and paste between them.

29585[/snapback]

Thank you so much Mimi for your extremely hard work matching the stepping stones, ELGs and NC this has saved our Year 1 teacher an awful lot of work. :o

Sandie B

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)