Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Do We Need To Advertise?

Hi all, Sadly we have just had a resignation from the great new staff member we only recently employed (she has been poached by someone!!).

Anyway, having got over my frustration we now need to find someone else. We have a good bank staff member whose arm we might be able to twist to take the post, but I have a suspicion that there is some kind of law that says we also need to advertise externally.

Can someone point me in the right direction on this? If we don't have to advertise/interview that would obviously save us time and money, but if the law says we must then we will do that.

Thanks.

When we advertised in May, we just put a notice on a board outside the door. I think it does have to be advertised but not outside neccesarily. Big companies employ from within and I know our local primary never advertises for dinner ladies, its all word of mouth.

Many years ago the committee put a small postcard on display for 1 session. I made them do it, they wanted to employ me and still advertise outside, so I was going to get the job regardless of who turned up for interview. Not quite fair I thought.

I suppose you've looked at the ACAS site?

Thanks Rea, you really are the source of all wisdom!! I will have a look at the ACAS site too.

I have placed an advert with the local paper anyway, we might end up getting a great applicant (although we don't want one who is TOO great because someone else will nick them!!).

On a related question, do you know if you HAVE to offer the job to the candidate who comes out best on paper in an interview? That's what we did last time round, but the problem is she was over qualified really and we would probably have been safer going for the less qualified person.

I dont think so. When we advertised in May, we had 12 applicants. We interviewed against a set of questions and scored 1,2,3 for the answers. Four of them got really good scores and were invited back for a 2nd interview, another one had a 2nd because she was so nervous we decided to give her a second chance.

That interview showed the quality. They all had to read a story to a small group of children, one told them to 'shhh', another one couldn't keep their attention and the nervous one fell apart again. The one who got it had scored well on paper, but she was fab with the story, extending and discussing, holding their attention, accomodating children who came to join the group. She qualified years ago then went out of childcare to start a family, so had no current experience of EYFS.

She ahd actually scored well in the first interview but overall, we felt she would fit in best and seemed to follow our overall philosophy, so even if someone had done better on paper we'd still have overlooked them for her.

Edited by Rea

12 applicants!!!

We've never had more than about 4 max, which makes it hard to be picky :o

For some reason staff are in short supply round here.

Wow 12 thats amazing, you must be so pleased.

just want to add that we too got bitten by the 'employing the most qualified/experienced person' and lost them after 6 months, this made us look for the more inexperienced as they end up being the ones who are most loyal and hard working, particulary when you are in a pack away setting, the packing away doesn't seem to be a chore to them.

Good luck with the interviews

I have placed an advert with the local paper anyway, we might end up getting a great applicant (although we don't want one who is TOO great because someone else will nick them!!).

You've hit the nail on the head here, SuzieC8 - it is good practice to advertise for the reasons you state, but I don't think it is against the law not to. Unless of course anyone knows different!

Good luck with your recruitment - it is so frustrating when you lose a really good practitioner and there's nothing you can do to stop them!

Guest jenpercy

I have been told that you must advertise because of equal ops - not to advertise could be seen as indirect discrimination as you should be seeking applicants from all ethnic groups and the disabled.

But there is nothing to say where you must advertise, so an advert in a shop window or the church hall notice board would suffice. Its only if this method fails to bring in any interest that you could widen the search.

I've kept the advert we used to address any concerns anyone could have along with all applications and score sheets.

Just had a quick brows around. It seems that advertising isnt necessary. You do have an obligation though to make sure the selection process is fair. So if you were a big company and had a vacany you could recruit from within but if more than one person applied you'd have to show you'd been fair in your selection.

Try this site, theres nothing very concrete but it doesnt say you have to advertise

Business link

Edited by Rea

the labour agency says

Q

Do we have to advertise all vacancies externally?

A

In order to ensure that you provide equality of opportunity to all potential applicants it is generally recognised that vacancies should be advertised externally and as widely as possible. The decision as to whether to advertise externally in all circumstances will be dependant on the vacancy and the composition of your existing workforce, for example, an organisation may have a policy which states that positions at a certain level are advertised internally only, because they provide opportunity for promotion and there is generally a good gender, race, religious, etc, mix among the workforce who could potentially apply. However, it is suggested that in drawing up such a policy and making decisions such as this you seek advice from the Equality Commission on 028 90 890 890, website, www.equalityni.org.

so thats clear...right????!!!! :o

I would always recommend advertising, and some LAs will do this on their website if you ask them.

I would also err on the side of caution of having criteria for interviewing and then not going with the 'best' candidate..although it may not happen often, you do have to be prepared to justify to the 'best' candidate why they didn't get the job, and you could land yourselves in hot water if they take it further, possibly looking for discrimination. I don't think you can appoint someone on the grounds of the probability or not that they will stay with you for 'x' amount of time.

I would take advice from your business dept or development officer if you have one.

It would be lovely to think that our advert will draw in a mix of applicants, including different cultures, both genders, those with disabilities, and so on.

Sadly in our area that just doesn't happen, whatever the equal opps legislation says, we just don't get a mix of people applying.

I might mention the equal opps thing to the school that has nicked our great staff member without advertising for their post - very unprofessional of them really to do it to us at this stage in the year, when we are very unlikely to be able to fill the post for January.

We've had our LA advisor sitting in on a couple of interviews in the last year and she was very helpful with criteria, etc.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)