Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Christmas Party!

Hi wasnt sure where to list this!

we are just planning our childrens christmas party, but the committee have taken it over, they are now wanting to hold it as a fundraising event.

they have invited all parents at a cost, per ticket also other siblings and are expecting the staff to run the games etc.

they are planning to sell refreshments too... I have a slight mutinity on my hands as this always just been a staff run event, with no parents involved etc. they are saying now that they dont want to be there, because last they held a coffee afternoon a child who was in the care of her parent got something in her eye, and the parents blamed the staff saying they wern't watching her! and they feel it will be a repeat of this...

We have a totally new committee and I am new to the role, so don't now about this incident..

any thoughts would be good, or just how you operate yours?

Ta x

Hi, I run a day nursery, all children who attend the nursery are invited to the Christmas party; however if a child comes who doesn't normally attend on that day then a parent or carer has to stay with them. We don't have any fundraising going on as its a manic enough afternoon as it is with all hands on deck, we don't have any spare staff to man any fundraising activities!

Is it worth saying to your committee that you should concentrate on making the party magical for the children who attend your nursery/pre-school; they are your priority and responsibility? Remind them of what happened last year with the other child, pointing out that any siblings etc who come are not your responsibility, and that you don't have staff capacity to man fundraising activities; however if the committe want to look after any fundraising activies then you would think about it (bet they don't)

In my opinion a Christmas Party should be just that and not a fundraising event; can the committe organise that for another day?

Oh thats a no no, its supposed to be a special time for you as the staff and the children. They will get their own christmas celebrations at home with them.

I would say safety is a main worry as you will have lots of people and presumably your having refreshments to. Think i would go down the route of insurance cover, hot drinks, younger siblings etc. How many children and adults are you thinking there maybe ?.

Was there no staff member at the meeting that could have explained how you and the staff run this event and how special it always is for you all.

I have had individual committee members ask if we need help but have never gone down that route and politely declined.

Low betide any one trying to take that away from us.ha ha :(

At the beginning of a year we go through all the events to be run by staff, committee and a mixture of both so everyone knows exactly how it all works and why.

Can they not fundraise at another time.

Not sure how this one will be resolved but wishing you well.

Hunbug humbug humbug. :o:(xD

Edited by bridger

We invite all children (and ensure we have enough paid staff to cover ratios).

We usually have about 40-50 but we do have a huge hall (normally 26per session)

Extra children are charged usually £2-3 - parties are held during a normal session time- therefore we can justify this charge as normal day children would have paid for the day.

We then ask for a limited amount of parent helpers (but no siblings) who's main role of the day is to the food side of things- including all the washing-up and cleaning kitchen.

We do have an entertainer which helps with the planning of the session.

We inform our insurance company whom are happy as long as we send a full risk assessment to Ofsted which we do.

Please don't anyone ask how this works with NEF extras!!!!! But I guess for us we would be covered as our LEA clearly states that if parent/carers want to extend their 'free' hours after headcount day we can charge them!

We're having a christmas carol concert on the 15th with a bit of fundraising thrown in (so committee will be there) and the party on the 16th. We have a few parents to help out at the party but mostly its committee making drinks, helping with party games, tidying up etc.

We've always allowed a few parents to stay, specially if their child might need a bit of support, its a different day, louder, more children and can be unsettling. We also ask any parents who have been particulary helpful during the year if they'd like to join in as a little thank you, those who never help even when asked dont get a look in. It might not be very fair but they cant pick and choose when they want to be helpful!

We only limit the number of parents because of the size of the room, its big but it would be too much with all the parents.

I dont see it as a time just for staff and children, but a time for everyone who's been involved to share in.

As chair, and after all the stuff I do for free I'd be most upset if I couldnt have a dance and play some games with tinsel in my hair. :o

Hi wasnt sure where to list this!

we are just planning our childrens christmas party, but the committee have taken it over, they are now wanting to hold it as a fundraising event.

they have invited all parents at a cost, per ticket also other siblings and are expecting the staff to run the games etc.

they are planning to sell refreshments too... I have a slight mutinity on my hands as this always just been a staff run event, with no parents involved etc. they are saying now that they dont want to be there, because last they held a coffee afternoon a child who was in the care of her parent got something in her eye, and the parents blamed the staff saying they wern't watching her! and they feel it will be a repeat of this...

We have a totally new committee and I am new to the role, so don't now about this incident..

any thoughts would be good, or just how you operate yours?

Ta x

Well if the invites have gone out there's not much you can do!! Is this being held at a time you would normally be working or is it after hours? Is there a sub committee working for the Christmas bash you could talk to about your staff members roles on the day and agree what they will be responsible for and what they wont.

As a parent I would not hold any staff member responsible for anything if I was "on site", and even more so with so many children and adults as you are suggesting might be present.

In future, would it be possible for your committee to fund raise for the christmas party in say, October or November and any extra proceeds go to other projects. This does rather sound like a new committee - very eager - but don't understand just how much work is involved in combining these events - they obviously see it as a great opportunity to make money - hope it goes well for you all.

ours too were always staff events with children, inviting a few parents who had been very helpful during the year, or committee members to help us out. but we usually found with all staff in we did not need the extra help.

questions I would ask committee

Staff getting paid for the day.. if not then they cannot or should not be responsible for any children.

responsibility - they cannot be responsible for any more than the usual ratio of child/adult and not for any siblings.. how are committee going to ensure that the parents are made aware of this . How will they ensure that the siblings are cared for by parents not staff.

drinks etc for adults.. how are they to be managed to ensure that the area is safe for the number of children who will be excited and running around.

Insurance... does it cover the numbers in the setting..

Funding.. is it a day with funded children as they should still have the same session free of charge or are they going to allow them to have it on a different day...

Who will be doing refreshments, and what will happen to their children while they are doing it? they cannot do both teas and children!

Is the venue big enough...

How will the children be fed ... most parties have some food for the children.. parents responsibility?

A party can be very successful with parents but it is a lot harder to do.I have run a few in my time.

parents need to be made very aware that THEY are responsible for their own children, and not the staff...

and the children will all behave very differently with parents present...

staff need to be on board to help out...

committee have to be aware they are running it not the staff and will need to do all the work of setting up, clearing away, and all in-between...

we used to have the staff run a few games and a dance session for a while with the children.. but it was only about 30 mins max..

Afraid I did lay the law down with the committee and let them know what we would and would not do..

Inge

Hi,

We are having a party week on the last week of term. We have 45 children on our books, so it would be too much to have at a party. This way all of the children get involved. We will have games, nice things at snack time.

Dorinda

Well thanks for all your replies!

we are holding the party in the school hall (we are sited nextdoor), and the committee expect around 40 - 50 children :o however i do have concerns that at £5 a ticket we wont have that many.

the drinks are going to be at one end of the hall.

The letter that as been sent out says that if parents cant attend then a member of staff will accompany them. but there's me and 2 other staff that are willing to attend out of 6 of us. although to be fair it isn't their session to work, but in the past all staff have come in and helped at the party.

The new chair as said she never sent her son, because he would have been scared by father christmas and also the change in venue. hence she now want all parents to be able to attend..

It's going to be a tricky one i can see. but as long as i dont end up in a elf costume will go with the flow and let them learn by the mistakes. but maintain the children's safety at all times...

Hi we do lots of things over the course of the year with parental involvement so i do think its special for just children and staff, obviously if you had a child that was unsettled then of course we would let the parent stay.

Whatever you do decide enjoy it if you can. :o

Edited by bridger