Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Outdoor Ideas

Hi

We have a real outdoorsy lot this year, having said that, they nearly always are and I think that is because all staff are so energised outdoors and instil a lot of enthusiasm for the outdoors.

However, over the past 2 weeks as the weather is getting colder we are struggling to provide the children with constructive outdoor provision. They either stay inside because it's too cold or they come outside and muck about because we aren't providing what they want. When we ask them what they want, they tell us what we already have out!

It's so much easier in the warmer weather when you can have table top stuff out and lay things out on the concrete. In this weather table top stuff makes them too cold, water and gelibaff type stuff make them too cold.....

What sort of stuff do you put out in this cold weather?

Hi our children love to dig and plant whatever the weather.

Chalking, skipping, games such as whats the time Mr Wolf, duck duck goose, Simon says keeps them moving around.

Agree not as easy outside but may also be what the staff are willing to do as opposed to what the children may like to do. :o

We put things like shredded paper, art straws, rice, sawdust etc in the sand tray - this week was really windy and we had sawdust which was interesting :o We also made use of all the autumn leaves and had them to play with in a tuff spot with bugs or dinosaurs etc, also just on teh floor to kick about.

We have attached pans to the fence to bang - noisy but fun!

Puzzles

Buckets of water and large paintbrushes to 'paint' the floor/shed/walls

The obvious balls, hoops, bikes.

Scarves to swirl about and run - using them like kites.

Making kites :D

We also have role play outside - this week we have a jungle with materials for den building...

Weather boxes?

Do you need to find a stock of light waterproof warm gloves (do these even exist) so that they can still do small world etc without getting very cold?

Could you put down cardboard over concrete and then mats to make a warmer surface to sit/ play on?

Could you go up in scale - so very large construction, big cars etc?

Could you build dens to provide shelter?

Hi,

Would anyone happen to know if there is an "official " document which sets out Outdoor provision in Reception as good practice, or any useful publications which would support this area of provision ? Many Thanks Faz.

We have a very 'indoorsy' lot this year - it's hard to put a lot of effort in day in and day out to persuade them outdoors if they want to be indoors. It's child-led, so they set the direction. It's offered, suggested, encouraged, modelled (even insisted upon one day last week in a fit of desperation to get them outdoors so they could see what they're missing) and still they want to be inside. So I may try some reverse psychology next week and see how that goes! :oxD

Hi,

Would anyone happen to know if there is an "official " document which sets out Outdoor provision in Reception as good practice, or any useful publications which would support this area of provision ? Many Thanks Faz.

I think this is a great site to give you some ideas!!

http://www.birthtofive.org.uk/earlyyearsfo...iongallery.aspx

Edited by Guest

Thanks Bubbles for that brilliant site for Outdoor provision. I'm struggling with a HT who keeps filling our outside area with plastic tree houses and pink cars while all I want is guttering and huge rolls of paper!! (A decent sand pit wouldn't go amiss either.)

Never mind, I'll just pass them (subtly) onto Nursery.

Thanks Bubbles for that brilliant site for Outdoor provision. I'm struggling with a HT who keeps filling our outside area with plastic tree houses and pink cars while all I want is guttering and huge rolls of paper!! (A decent sand pit wouldn't go amiss either.)

Never mind, I'll just pass them (subtly) onto Nursery.

Its very difficult to convince 'old school' practioners to try new things!! I'm lucky my boss is gradually coming around to new ideas but i did struggle in the beginning.....i used to get-

Why do we want rubbish like guttering and crates in the garden, it will look like a rubbish dump!!!

I think its all about showing pictures or maybe visiting others setting to actually see it in practice, this worked for me!!

Just got to work on the staff coming up with new and exciting ideas now .....arghhh!!!! :o

Again: thanks for that fantastic link - really useful.

we didn't let children go outside last week during the high winds, otherwise we are managing to be outside most of the time.

I've just found some wheels on sticks from Sense Toys which are being used as cars, lorries, taxis, even an aeroplane, and providing lots of info for our Creative assesments too, as well as keeping children active and warm.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm assuming you also have logs, sticks, tyres, milk crates and bread crates as well as large cardboard boxes etc.

Rope is also excellent (the type you get from boat yards) as well as skipping ropes and anything that you push with wheels.

Then have you tried cooking outside? A primus stove and a couple of big sieves to make popcorn is excellent! If you are really adverturous you could build a fire pit outdoors and cook other things like eggy bread. When not used by an adult the children make their own pretend fire and pretend cook!

Lorna

post-9053-1290511397_thumb.jpg

post-9053-1290511667_thumb.jpg

post-9053-1290511707_thumb.jpg

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)