Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Parental Responsibility Question

If the child was born before 2006 (not sure of exact date), when the law changed, then even if the father is named, he doesn't have automatic parental responsibility if they were not married. If child is already 5, is there a chance he was registered before the date of law change?

If the child was born before 2006 (not sure of exact date), when the law changed, then even if the father is named, he doesn't have automatic parental responsibility if they were not married. If child is already 5, is there a chance he was registered before the date of law change?

I understood it to be births after 1 December 2003 - that if both parents are named on the birth certificate, both have parental responsibility. I wasn't aware of any changes to that?

Yes Lyanne you are quite right, silly me, I was looking at the law change in Scotland, (should the child happen to have been registered there). A family member went through all this recently, and Id momentarily forgotten that the child in question was born in Scotland, even though they live in England, and so the change in law happened later.

Hopefully, Cait's family can sort themselves out, its awful when we get tangled in in family rows and are often 'expected' to take sides.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)