Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Late 1970s Early 80s

Rea

Does anyone remember when students in loads of secondary schools around the country went on strike?

I remember the strike, we all sat in the playground and refused to go to lessons (I went to art though :o )

I was telling my son how people used to demonstrate and strike, like they do in France and Greece, but I cant find any trace of it on google and I cant remember what we were striking over.

Anyone? xD

I wonder if this was more of a local thing, there were so many strikes around that time, that maybe it was just your school getting in on the action. I certainly dont remember anything, although I do remember the teacher strikes of the mid 80s and Id not long qualified

Certainly the 1970's was a big time for strikes and I remember the miners strike which was roundabout 73/74 and I joined the march in London. We had power shortages and the 3 day week around that time, and it brought down the Heath Government eventually. The strikes in the early 1980's really weakened the power of the trade unions and strikes have never been the same since.

I don't think we've ever been like the French who really go the full Monty when they strike, putting up barricades and lighting fires, but this type of action is part of their historical reaction to power and control.

In '83/'84 a lot of students were striking against plans to introduce tuition fees in higher education. Not sure if it spread back to secondary school though. We were bussed down to London for a big demonstration during which I sat down on Westminster bridge (with lots of others I have to say!) and stopped the traffic.

Apologies to anyone I may have inconvenienced...

I was at secondary school 76-79 and I don't remember striking although it was an all girls school so possibly less militant. I do remember Elvis death and standing around the ice-cream van at lunchtime to hear if 'Get Down' had made it to no 1 on the chart show. I think the ice-cream was very clever playing the radio loud at lunchtimes :o

Snakes and ladders by candle light is what I remember about the miners strike and the excitement as the clock nearered 8 o'clock when the power was due to do off.

Maybe it was a local thing then, I know it was on the news and in the papers because our head spoke to the media and we never saw our school mentioned. Hubby cant remember what we striked (struck) for either and he was at the same school!

I weill ask some locals in the pub tomorrow.

I do remember the country wide strikes, candles to bed and shopping with my nan. You were only allowed one loaf of bread or one bag of sugar per customer so nan gave me and my brother a loaf and sugar to pay for in teh queue behind her. i was about 10 and really scared I'd be found out :o

don't think we've ever been like the French who really go the full Monty when they strike, putting up barricades and lighting fires, but this type of action is part of their historical reaction to power and control.

Should that be hysterical, rather than historical JacquieL - they do go rather over the top, One suspects the guillotine blade is being sharpened for someone :o