Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Register Time

Hi. I am just wondering if at preschool you still do register and call out the children's names. Our children self register and we do morning time days of the weeks etc. But we do not call out children's names. A member staff sits and does the double check register and we mark the children off as they walk through the door.At reception will they be doing this.

Dorinda

Yes, we still do a 'sit down' register every day. The children self-register too. We count all the children and make up our daily sum of how many girls there are, how many boys and then how many children all together. We also plan what we're going to do today and talk about anything special that is going on. On Fridays we also help the children to plan what they'd like in the role play area, what resources they think we need and so on.

We are a packaway group, so it is a good way of being able to carry on setting up after the children have arrived whilst they are engaged in planning their day.

Maz

We do.

We did stop once, but we found the children never learnt other children's or adults names, and would often just say 'him or her' when talking about preschool friends.

We are careful that time wise and ensure it is suitable for our age group. We never force - just positive encouragement!

very similar to happymaz

my children self register, then i tick off in a register and head count

we dont call out names but we do sit in a circle and do days of week, what resources we want out, whats on offer or if the children have something they wish to talk about

Children self-register and we have a clipboard register that a member of staff completes as children arrive. This is our 'grab register' if we have a fire drill. The main register is on the computer and I call that at some point during the morning/afternoon so children can respond to their name and, for some of them, just be confident to speak out in a group. They are generally playing when I call it, but at some point when everyone's indoors.

hi all our children self register and I record time of entry and departure and also use this as the grab register for fire drills etc.

At circle time we identify our names from the board - describe the symbol the children love this.

In our school nursery the children self register. At 9:10 an adult does a walk around register saying 'Good morning' to each child who is encouraged to answer back (if only with a smile)

In reception class we self register then a sat in a circle with a book register (for dinners etc). We are using dfifferent languages for Good Afternoon starting the various home laguages of our children. They are allowed to choose how they will answer (most like chinese!)

• 1 month later...

I love the idea of a member of staff going around and greeting each child individually, I might try this with each key person greeting their children. As for learning each others names we play name recognition game with a small group of children who are already confident at recognising their own name. The younger children we play a circle game of pass the object to ........ We also ask the children at morning group time to decide what they are going to do and then to decide who they want to play with. This supports learning their peer's names.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)